Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 2005 Reg, Key Not Working

wren111

Hi

Woke up this moring and the key fob would not activate the door lock/unlock! There was no signal like there normally is e.g the lights on car flashing and that click noise to say the doors unlocked.

The red light on the actual key fob works.

I tried opening the car door manually with the key and the alarm blared , nearly giving me a heart attack!

Not sure what's happened. Was perfectly fine yesterday.

Any ideas on what might have happened or any quick remedies?

P.S I'm not very car savvy, so bear with me.

Cheers Guys

D

Hi Doug, I have seen your problem before and there is a few fixes. The key may be out of sync or there is something disrupting the signal.

When you bought the car, did you get 2 keys?

Have you searched the forum yet?

Konrad

Hi Doug, I have seen your problem before and there is a few fixes. The key may be out of sync or there is something disrupting the signal.

When you bought the car, did you get 2 keys?

Have you searched the forum yet?

Konrad

Hi Konrad

Cheers for the reply.

i got 2 keys and tried both. Neither work.

I searched but did not find much. I'll have another look

cheers i will take a look

I just assumed the Battery was working in fob as red light comes on. Also, the second key was not working either.

I had alook at those links you were so kind to attach and some of it's a bit confusing to me lol

I could try the key reset procedure, but it says it's for 1998-2000 models.

Maybe it's in my manual. I'll have a look.

Does anyone know of anyway i can use the key manually, without the alarm blaring off?

Cheers

Happened to me a few times on my 2004 Avensis, sat in the car with the Alarm going off didnt make me look guilty at all. The Alarm does shut it's self off after what feels like forever (must be a minute or two)

With mine it was the Battery, the light on the key would still register but the car would simply refuse to accept that the key fob had been pressed. I would try some new batteries first as to rule out any other issues.

• Like 1

Happened to me a few times on my 2004 Avensis, sat in the car with the Alarm going off didnt make me look guilty at all. The Alarm does shut it's self off after what feels like forever (must be a minute or two)

With mine it was the battery, the light on the key would still register but the car would simply refuse to accept that the key fob had been pressed. I would try some new batteries first as to rule out any other issues.

haha i know! Those alarms are !Removed! loud. I just jumped and darnt touch it again after the alarm went off. I'll try again tomorrow and let you guys know how i solved it.

Cheers dudes

• Like 1

The alarm should stop when you turn the ignition on

2nd Alan's comment about alarm silencing when engine turned on.

The Battery in the remote is 3V, as soon as the voltage dips, your remote will not operate properly. Try putting a new Battery in it first, they are only £3 odd

Thanks guys.

I have replaced the batteries and it's still not working.

I will do that reprogramming thing :ermm:

There's no instructions on reprogramming the fob in the manual. :( Does anyone have the sequence for 2005 reg car? Pleeeease help..i need the car for Aberdeen tomorrow and don't want to catch the train for like £5000 and 15 hour car journey lol

the car should run perfectly via the key. Slightly inconvenient, yes but not the end of the earth ...

Hi. Thanks for the message. I'm fine using the key manually, but the alarm keeps setting off, is there a way to immobilize the alarm?

The alarm will trigger by design until you start the engine. The only way to prevent it would be to totally disarm/disconnect the alarm & personally I would rather have a working alarm & a few seconds of annoyance than no alarm at all.

The alarm will trigger by design until you start the engine. The only way to prevent it would be to totally disarm/disconnect the alarm & personally I would rather have a working alarm & a few seconds of annoyance than no alarm at all.

Thanks

I was reading the manual and it says there is an 'intrusion sensor' that can be cancelled. Not sure if that's the same thing as the 'theft deterrent' system on the Toyota.

I have asked my brother to look at the car tomorrow as he is more car savvy.

I'll let you guys know what the outcome was and what helped.

Hopefully can drive to Aberdeen! Side note: Train fares in UK are sickening lol

Thanks for all the input

I was reading the manual and it says there is an 'intrusion sensor' that can be cancelled

There's a button up at the front courtesy light which cancels the interior motion sensors if you leave a dog in the car etc.

but the alarm should go off when the interior light comes on & the system senses the voltage drop ... Maybe try turning that off too.

Still not sorted this problem out. Tried the whole reprogramming the key thing. The horrible thing kept blaring and nearly brought the whole street out.

My local mechanic is out of the country at the minute.I will just have to find some other  mechanic, who will probably completely rip me off as i am clueless when it comes to cars . Fingers crossed! 

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll let you know about the outcome.

• 4 years later...

Hi Wren, 

I'm having an identical issue to you - randomly today both my key fobs stopped working and the alarm blares when I unlock the car manually. I can start the engine fine, but the alarm still blares. The 10 second reset thing didn't work. This has all happened just a couple of weeks after my airbag recall.

Please could you tell me what resolved it for you?

Many thanks

Dan