Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota IQ3 1.33cc 2011 CVT Transmission questions.

Charis IQ3

Hello there guys am a bit new to this site so please don't be hard on me if i posted in the wrong place. I just bought a Toyota IQ3 2011 1.33cc and my question is about its CVT transmission where i would like to know from you if switching through D and S(engine braking) while moving hurts the gearbox. Would it be better to keep one of this transmission speeds without switching through them? I would also like to ask on how to check the transmission oil. I read all the manual twice but non of my questions where answered. I might be missing something here.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Hi there

I haven't got the CVT myself, have the 6 speed manual box in my iQ3 but I have driven a few and they are fine to switch between the D and S while moving. I do it sometimes in my partners Yaris hybrid if your coasting down a hill and don't want to use the brakes all the time. Pull it back to S and it slows you down quite well.

As for the oil level. It's a special Toyota CVT oil so don't put anything else in there. It seems to involve pulling the drain plug out the bottom of the gearbox and (hopefully) there is a tube inside that stops all the oil coming back out. You check this tube is screwed in fully then fill it until the oil comes out over the top of the tube. 

Here is the manual pages...

Craig.

Page 1.JPG

Page 2.JPG

Page 3.JPG

Page 4.JPG

Great answer, very helpful, thanks so much for replying. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very helpful to me too, thanks.

I find there's a lot of engine braking in D, too much sometimes, and can't imagine a need for S except in an emergency.

• 2 weeks later...

When I had my iQ I would use S when going down hills and steep roads around town, as it would help to keep the car at 30 mph without riding the break.