Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

10w40 engine oil

Jo

I guys my names. Jo. I was. Just wondering if I had ruined.  My. Aygo. Engine by. Using 10w40 engine. Oil.  As that's all. I could get

Hello Jo - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Toyota's preferred oil for your Aygo is 5W-30 - see

Whilst 10W-40 isn't ideal, you may notice poorer cold starting and possibly a small effect on economy. Surprised you're saying that 10W-40 is all you could get, as 5W-30 is a very common oil, and is certainly available at most motor factors (Halfords, Euro Car parts, etc) and some supermarkets. 

What API spec is it - SL, SM, SN?

Hi. Frosty balls thanks for the reply. Well I got it in Tesco and there weren't very many on offer at time as they were filling shelves.   So I just picked it up. I rang my mate who said it wouldn't damage engine, as he used to work in motor trade but thought I'd check. Anyway, I have a prob at mo with my car and just wondered if it were to do with engine oil or something different. My automatic Aygo won't start.  I live in south of England so not particularly cold here so maybe its the alternates instead. X

What is happening when you try to start the car. Does it try to turn over?  Do you get a clicking sound and the car won't start? 

Do they? I have just put  petrol 2007 Aygo into their website & the cheapest it showed was £69 - without fitting ...

I use 10w40 oil in my aygo all the time, hardly makes any difference to my economy - my aygo has raked up the miles so not bother at using the preferred rating, happy to go with the next of the list in my toyota manual.  Switched to this for similar reason to yourself, struggled to get it at my local supermarkets and didn't want to fork out for the expensive stuff at Halfords.

On 2016-02-02 at 11:14 PM, Lakeuk said:

I use 10w40 oil in my aygo all the time, hardly makes any difference to my economy - my aygo has raked up the miles so not bother at using the preferred rating, happy to go with the next of the list in my toyota manual.  Switched to this for similar reason to yourself, struggled to get it at my local supermarkets and didn't want to fork out for the expensive stuff at halfords.

How cheap do you buy your oil? For 26 quid you can get 4 litres of Castrol magnatec 5w-40 C3 grade oil delivered to your address. That is a quality oil! I buy from a sister company in Sweden and they are really cheap.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/oshop.pl?item_id=8&&dsco=110&cart_id=44271264.110.8390&Cookie=

5W-30

5 is the viscosity of the oil when cold

W= winter

30 is the viscosity of the oil when hot

so by putting a 40 oil in the engine the oil will never flow around the engine as easily as

toyota wanted it to ,it may of been designed with the 30 grade oil due to smaller oil ways

who knows.

its a bit like eating chippy food every day ,at first your blood flows freely but it only takes

1 blockage to cause you problems.

On 10/02/2016 at 5:47 PM, rajivrattna said:

How cheap do you buy your oil?

Bargain basement, £10 for 4.5 litres - my car is coming to the end of it's life this year having done over 180k miles in it :ohmy: paying double for the top recommended grade isn't a priority - I started topping up with oil at 100k miles with 5W-30 then switched to the 10w40 grade from 125k miles - I was expecting my mpg to reduce but that hasn't been the case, the same consistent peaks/troughsthrough each year.

when an engine is worn then the option would be to go for the next grade of oil this can reduce the oil consumption , if you just wanting to keep the old dear running till it pops its clogs then again its fine ,i just wouldn't use the incorrect grade in an engine in its early years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-02-12 at 10:32 PM, eygo said:

5W-30

5 is the viscosity of the oil when cold

W= winter

30 is the viscosity of the oil when hot

so by putting a 40 oil in the engine the oil will never flow around the engine as easily as

toyota wanted it to ,it may of been designed with the 30 grade oil due to smaller oil ways

who knows.

its a bit like eating chippy food every day ,at first your blood flows freely but it only takes

1 blockage to cause you problems.

Here is the copy from the Aygo manual in Swedish but just look at the figures and you will see that it mentions even up to xw-40 or xw-50, so what is so wrong in using 0W-40 or 5W-40? When the engine has warmed up the xW-40 is perfect. So the question of your engine clogging up with higher viscosity is just not true in a warm engine.

VAL AV MOTOROLJA (choice of engine oil)
Bensinmotor (Petrol engine)

”Toyota Genuine Motor Oil”. Annan motorolja
av motsvarande kvalitet kan också
användas. (other engine oil of following quality can also be used)
Oljekvalitet:
20W-50 och 15W-40—
API grade SL eller SM multigrade
motorolja
10W-30 och 5W-30—
API kvalitetsklass SL ”Energy-Conserving”,
SM ”Energy-Conserving”
eller ILSAC multigrade motorolja.
Rekommenderad viskositet (SAE):

rajiv ,the swedish manual is not that relevant to the uk climate in regards to certain aspects

i never said the engine would clog up but i did say "

the engine the oil will never flow around the engine as easily as

toyota wanted it to" to be honest i really dont understand why you wouldn't just buy

the correct part for your car in the 1st place,your car is the 2nd biggest purchase most

people will make so treat it right.

the xw-40 will be so thin  allowing for your lower temperatures

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links