Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Aygo 2007 - Clutch Problems

Chrissie5523

Hi all

I purchased a 2007 reg Aygo Blue back in August last year.  As I've been driving it over the last couple of months, the biting point on the clutch has got higher and higher to the point where I've almost completely released the clutch before I reach it.  My gears have started slipping and hill starts have become a nightmare (either stalling or wheel spinning).  This wasn't happening to me in the beginning, so I don't think I'm driving any differently.

Does anyone know what could be causing this or has anyone experienced the same problems?  I'm 31 but only started driving in August and I'm worried that a garage may take advantage of the fact I'm a woman and don't know a lot about cars! So I wanted to get a feel for what the problem could be before I book it in because I'm really worried about how much it may cost to rectify it.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Chrissie

Probably your clutch friction plate is worn, but I'm not familiar with your particular car's set up so it could also be a stretched cable (if it's cable operated), or a problem with the clutch fluid system (if it's hydraulic).

A trip to your local friendly mechanic should tell you one way or another.  A new clutch should cost about £100 plus the labour to fit it (which involves taking the gearbox out), so probably in the £250 - £350 bracket.

one quick test for the clutch is to have the handbrake on firmly start the car

put it in 1st gear and go to move off with the handbrake still on if the clutch is good

then you hear the engine revs drop,increase the revs a little and keep taking your foot off the clutch pedal

you will be able to stall the engine ,if the clutch is worn it will then slip and the engine will still be running,

if i am not mistaken i have heard of a shoulder on the clutch cable breaking off

and this can cause the issues you are facing,i will look into this for you and get back in touch

• 3 months later...

I have a 2010 toyota aygo, when I bought it was quite high only had it around 5 months and in that time has got ridiculously high. Had a mechanic look it over to try and adjust it buy has totally gone. Pulled the clutch up in gear with handbrake on and didn't even stall. Mechanic said I'm lucky for it to still be driving so having a new clutch fitted Saturday.  Did you get yours sorted x 

Your clutch has worn out and needs to be replaced. Happened to me at 60,000 miles on my Peugeot 107 (which is essentially a rebadged Aygo). It cost me about £200.

Aygo/107/C1 built before at least 2010 have a smaller clutch and have known to expire at about 30,000 (some event went at 15,000). It'd be good to know how many miles your car has done in this respect.

To add to eygo's suggestion, another way is to drive the car on a straight level road, drop down a gear (so if you're in 5th Gear, move down to 4th) and listen to the engine (or watch the Rev counter if you've got one). If your clutch is worn out then your revs will shoot up while the speed of the car doesn't increase.

But yeah, the clutch is these cars one bad point.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links