Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Parking Guide

TomdeGuerre

Must confess I've had two instances of being charged by private parking management companies - both challenged successfully and no charges were paid.

One where I went to a local shopping centre in the morning (left at about 11am), and I went back about 2.30 (left at about 3.15). The subsequent charge showed me as entering in the morning and leaving in the afternoon. 

The second instance was where I parked in another local shopping centre and used an end space. Turns out it was a disabled space, but the wheelchair symbol on the space had worn away so much that it was hardly recognisable.for what it was. That was last May, and the wheelchair symbol in that space has never been re-done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Why?

Private parking “fine” for overstaying in Glasgow car park. I won’t say company name, amount or anything. They scan msg boards for details and see if they can pin you with something. Wasn’t even me that was driving. Fume, upset, bstadars….

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Must confess I've had two instances of being charged by private parking management companies - both challenged successfully and no charges were paid.

One where I went to a local shopping centre in the morning (left at about 11am), and I went back about 2.30 (left at about 3.15). The subsequent charge showed me as entering in the morning and leaving in the afternoon. 

The second instance was where I parked in another local shopping centre and used an end space. Turns out it was a disabled space, but the wheelchair symbol on the space had worn away so much that it was hardly recognisable.for what it was. That was last May, and the wheelchair symbol in that space has never been re-done.

Thanks Frosty, I'll keep you on Speed Dial :biggrin:

If you have a parking charge notice head over to moneysavingexpert.com forum and start a new thread in the parking sub section. The procedures and law are different in Scotland. Far easier to see it off than in England. Don't pay it Tom, fight it. The parking company cannot prove or find out who was driving and never ever tell them who was.

I see that Which? have written that article in conjunction with the BPA so don't go by what is written. Which? have probably published exactly what the BPA have submitted to them.The BPA like to come across as looking official but in reality are just a "club" for the scamming private parking companys. The BPA's head honcho is not called "trouserfire" for nothing.

I'm glad you wrote "fine" because it isn't. These parasitic companys cannot issue a fine. Possibly their standard £100 or £60 if paid within 14 days? DON'T pay.

31 minutes ago, mrpj said:

I see that Which? have written that article in conjunction with the BPA so don't go by what is written. Which? have probably published exactly what the BPA have submitted to them.The BPA like to come across as looking official but in reality are just a "club" for the scamming private parking companys.

It is perfectly obvious you haven't even looked at the Which? Parking Guide. The Guide covers where one can and cannot park without receiving either a fine or a charge, and doesn't just relate to parking on private ground. It covered legislation that was in place in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland in 2012 (when the Guide was published).

The BPA is a scheme where those operators who join, sign up to a set of standards. BPA won't investigate appeals against parking charges, unless one of their members has breached their Code of Practice. Otherwise whatever appeals process is in place is operated by the individual parking management company. The only mention of BPA are on pages 13 and 15. 

Yes one can contact Money Saving Expert, but bear in mind that, unlike Which?who are impartial, MSE ceased to be impartial when Martin Lewis sold out to MoneySupermarket in 2012.

25 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hey Frosty back off there mon ami, Peter’s a friendly face and I need all the sympathy I can get. I’m a proponent of the “victim” mentality. It’s all their fault, it was nothing to do with me boo hoo I don’t want to pay anybody anything somebody help me boo hooooooo.

Well, not exactly, I’m just a worn down hubby that comes on here to howl at the moon sometimes. Thing is Peter might be the start of my very own victim support group. Ground swelling of sympathy, appeals to higher authority, soliciting “support” from local or national gov’t, NGO’s whatever, all I need is somebody to care enough to pay this for me. £75….. Buddy can you spare me a dime?

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

Scottish Law is different from English/Welsh for this.

& this is probably more current for England & Wales than Which? from 2012  http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/private-parking-penalties/

That would make your eyes glaze over reading that lot, wouldn't it Scott. So they've won a test case in England but not in Scotland well not yet. It's going to be interesting if and when they come up against all the antiquaries of Old Scots law. According to my Friend In The Pub under the Carters Section it's still legal, if you're driving a horse and cart through a town, to stop and pee against the nearside wheel. Furthermore you can command (not ask, command) a policeman to hold your horse while you go for a pint of beer as a refreshment. Just one pint - but you can take as long as you like to drink it. I feel comforted already.

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It is perfectly obvious you haven't even looked at the Which? Parking Guide. The Guide covers where one can and cannot park without receiving either a fine or a charge, and doesn't just relate to parking on private ground. It covered legislation that was in place in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland in 2012 (when the Guide was published).

The BPA is a scheme where those operators who join, sign up to a set of standards. BPA won't investigate appeals against parking charges, unless one of their members has breached their Code of Practice. Otherwise whatever appeals process is in place is operated by the individual parking management company. The only mention of BPA are on pages 13 and 15. 

Yes one can contact Money Saving Expert, but bear in mind that, unlike Which?who are impartial, MSE ceased to be impartial when Martin Lewis sold out to MoneySupermarket in 2012.

Which? impartial, you're 'avin a giraffe. You do come out with some garbage at times FB.The posters who help on MSE's forum parking threads ARE impartial. Are you suggesting that they are somehow rewarded by Moneysupermarket or other sponsors?  For council etc. tickets Pepipoo is the best bet. Would they be impartial or not? You don't have to look further than the first two pages to not see the BPA logo and that it was written in conjunction with the BPA. So not just pages 13 and 15.

It is also way out of date being published pre October 2012. The private parking box, in particular, is totally wrong for post Oct. 2012. Once the parking companies "appeal service" has rejected - yes they usually do. The next step is POPLA (dependent on which parking company is involved) which was introduced in Oct. 2012 after POFA came into force.

The "test case" only relates to certain circumstances relevant to that particular case so is not a "blanket" change in the law.

Anyway, if Tom doesn't want any help and fork out £75, then so be it. I'm done here.

Explain in what way Which? are not impartial.

The Association is owned and largely funded by their membership through subscriptions to Which? services, not a private company, and the Association is governed by the Which? council, comprising Which? members who have been elected to the Council by the membership. They receive no Government funding. They do charge a licence fee to those companies who are awarded a Which? Best Buy for one or more of their products , and who wish to use the Which? Best Buy logo in advertising.

As regards being out of date the Guide has 2012 on the front cover in fairly large font, so can only be expected to show the legislation current when it was published. Which? aren't responsible for the Guide being posted on TOC in 2016.

The only person having a 'giraffe' is yourself.

I’ll tell you who’s having a giraffe, the parking company that’s who. They scan msg boards with their search bots whatever looking for Parking as a key word and monitor them. So while I’ve been trying to hatch a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel, now I find my legal team are squabbling with each other. Resistance is futile, I’m just going to pay it and plot my revenge on the PERSON WHO PARKED THERE.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links