Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stop-start issue

Blue Canary

I have a 2013 Auris, 1.4 diesel. Occasionally the car doesn't restart after a "Stop-start" stop, and the stop-start icon flashes green. If I turn the ignition off then on, the car restarts, and all is fine.

I understand that the flashing icon is telling me something is wrong, but what is going on?

I don't have Stop / Start on mine but I understand it only works in defined circumstances. I don't think it works if the Air Con is switched on.

If you had your windscreen defrost on that would automatically switch on the air conditioning. If you turn off the engine and restart it again I don't think the Air Con comes back on so possibly the reason why the Stop / Start works again after you restart.  

The Stop/Start operation is dependent on several factors including outside temperature, electrical loadng and Battery charge. For example if the temperature is below a certain level (around 4 degrees C), if the car has a high electrical load (air con, HRW on, etc) the Battery charge is insufficient, or a combination of these factors, the Stop/Start system may not operate. Think occasionally it is possible the engine will stall, and one then needs to restart manually.

Think the system will reset once the ignition is turned off, on and the engine restarted. 

If you're concerned, pop into your dealer

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think occasionally it is possible the engine will stall, and one then needs to restart manually.

That seems to be what's happening, I'm just curious to know why, and how common it is.

It rarely happens with mine - and I've had two Auris with the Stop/Start system - but it can and does happen occasionally.

• 1 month later...

Just got an Auris, stop start was working great then temp has dropped last few days and it hasn't kicked in, I also note using electric heated seats may have zapped Battery amp a little.

Look at my post of 2nd February above - there are a number of factors that affect the stop/start system, including temperature.

Yep aware of those, last couple of days done  40 mile run a day, no air con on, just dab, lights, no heated seats, no sat nav running, temp above 8c.  Pursume the Battery must be a little drained ?

Ill give it a week or so with a few longer runs, and if no joy book it in for a check up

Your Stop / Start doesn't work if the engine is trying to do a DPF regeneration.

21 minutes ago, TomdeGuerre said:

Your Stop / Start doesn't work if the engine is trying to do a DPF regeneration.

Thanks, how many days does this take or does it need for this or does it need an uninterrupted "clean" one hour drive ?

As long as you keep the revs over 2,000 rpm (use lower gears if necessary) and better to put as much electrical load on as possible (air con, heated screen etc) it should finish in much less than an hour. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks re above an 2 hours drive at 2 1/2k revs did a good clear out.  Out of interest how often does it try and do a clear out ? (Appreciate everyone drives different)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links