Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12V Battery replacement - size and hold clamp

grumpymike

Our 2.0D Auris (56 plate) needs a new Battery. The current Japanese Battery is approx 305mm long and 200mm high. The general consensus from Battery suppliers in the UK seems to be for a much smaller (physical size) battery (I have had no luck finding a similar size OEM spec battery). An example of UK batteries is: https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/heavy-duty-096-car-battery/ This has dimensions of around 278mm long and 190mm high.  The plastic battery tray is not fixed to the car and stabilization relies on the top mounted battery hold down clamp - this is not adjustable for different battery sizes. I have seen various universal clamps, but I am unsure if these are adequate/would fit. Any advice regarding either sourcing original size battery or methods of safely securing a smaller battery would be appreciated.

Hi Mike

Have you inquired the price of a Battery from a Toyota dealership, on many consumable items they can be very competitive on price and it will fit straight in.

Mike

Thanks for speedy responses. I have been quoted £110 for a Battery from dealership (they were unsure as to size and didn't have any in stock to measure). As I can get comparable/higher rated (CCA) Battery for half that price, I am still keen to find a way to safely fit a different size Battery. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Then again the quoted cost of the Toyota Battery will include fitting, so it would be down to the dealer to ensure the Battery is fitted correctly and safely.

I changed my car's Battery with a new one that is an inch lower than original ; I solved this problem inserting an one inch thickness rubber piece.

GrumpyMike, just a thought, are you aware that changing a car Battery today is not always the same as it was say 20 years ago. Years ago we'd just undo the clamp, take off the leads, black first then red of course, fit the new one, attach the clamp, then the red lead and finally the black one and all would be good.

Diversing slightly a sorta friend that runs a very successful Battery business in Leigh in Essex https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lincoln+batteries+progress+road&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=MdeyVt7oLsP7aLiUhYAN (You can always phone them for advise) anyway I was in there one day and there was a say £1000 bit of kit in the corner sitting in the corner, I asked him what it was for as it looked business like and he told me lots of modern cars you can't just swop the batteries as various things on the car may not work afterwards, radio, alarm etc and this 'magic box' keeps the car either powered up or stores codes I am not completely sure but what I am saying it Toyota fitting a Battery well of course in their price you will get the car back with it functioning the way you gave it to them, doing it yourself you may have problems with something not working and if you really get it wrong you can blow an ECU.

I have found makers original batteries tend to last a lot longer in years than other replacement ones, I recently changed one on a different make of car I had (Mercedes) and it was still on it's original battery for over 8 years from new, I believe they are better made inside.

Personally I would get the car to Toyota or take photo's and measure the battery tray and battery itself and get Toyota to fit the biggest battery that will go in the tray that can be fitted.

Whatever you do good luck!

Mike.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links