Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Express feature - buying a used hybrid

Vickster

Hi All

Experience has taught me that this forum is one of the most active and helpful so hopefully I am OK to request help from one of you as before.

If this is not OK I apologise and I know the thread will be deleted.

In the past I have asked for help with Auto Express buying guides for owners to have their car photographed for a guide, this is different.

We have been asked to do a feature on buying a used hybrid and would like to speak to an owner who bought a used Prius and has run it for a couple of years (or more).

As with the buying guides this isn't a 'hatchet' job, we are encouraging the readers to look at things in a positive way but we would have to mention any recalls the car has had so new owners can make sure the work has been done.

If there is an owner out there that would like to take part please can you mail me at vicky@richarddredge.com just saying how long you've owned your Prius and how old it was when you bought it.

Many thanks for your time.

Vicky

does it have to be a Prius? How about Auris, Yaris etc. hybrids?

You say it isn't a "hatchet job", yet you want to ask owners of previously owned Prius if their vehicle had any recalls on it?

Why not ask Toyota directly about recall information? I'm sure 5 minutes with Google would turn up some results, too.

Hopefully most owners maintain their vehicles, in which case recall work will have been completed. Even if it wasn't, this isn't a Toyota, Prius, or even Hybrid thing - it's the owner that is entirely at fault.

Start with all the VW owners who have said that they won't get the emissions problems fixed (recall action) because they are concerned about loss of performance.

What is the real reason for your enquiry?

TOC have provided help to Vicky a few times in the past with the Auto Express used buying guides.

Examples:  in 2014 my Auris was used in a photo shoot for the Auris used buying guide; in 2015 another member had her Aygo used in a photo shoot for the Aygo used buying guide, etc.

Both articles mentioned whatever recalls had occurred up to the time the article was published.

I've already e-mailed Vicky to highlight Toyota's recall checker and the hybrid health check, and in light of these positive past experiences, I don't think there is any need to be combative or suspicious.

If one of our members does make themselves available, please ask that TOC is given a mention.

... and  as they have done used buying guides on the Auris and Yaris in the past two years, they will already have covered hybrid versions of these models to a degree.

My apologies to Vicky for the tone of my post.

Some friends and family laughed at me when I first got a hybrid. After seeing it and being taken for a drive in it, they're not laughing now. :)

I just don't understand why electric and hybrid vehicles are so poorly treated. They're not only nicer to drive, but much simpler mechanically, too (not to mention cheap to run by about every metric you can name).

Any particular version of the Prius (gen1, gen2, gen3, facelifted, plus, plug in)?

Auris hybrid gen1 has been around for a while so there will be used ones of those which could be owned for 2 years or more but I guess you need a Prius.

Hi All

Firstly apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I was caught in the M5 mayhem on Friday!

Secondly YarisHybrid2016 - no need to apologise, I've been doing this long enough to know that members are quite rightly worried or suspicious when a magazine wants to do an article so need to ensure that the model will get a fair outing. It also keeps me on my toes to try and make sure I include all the information at the beginning so putting your mind to rest, which brings me onto.......

The third thing, Heidfirst the reason a Prius is needed is because (and this is where I need to make sure I have all the information) the car needs to be out of Battery warranty, so I believe the car will need to be over 10 years old. This means that Gen1 and early Gen2 Prius can be used but none of the other models.

I'm fairly sure that this extra info is going to make it more difficult to find a car but any help will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Vicky

There are some exceptions (like 2009 Gen3 Prii) but the HV Battery warranty on the Prius is generally 8 years/100,000 miles.

But MrT has introduced the Hybrid Health check which adds another year/10,000 miles each time it is done.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/hybrid-health-check.json

5 hours ago, Vickster said:

...This means that Gen1 and early Gen2 Prius can be used but none of the other models.

I'm fairly sure that this extra info is going to make it more difficult to find a car but any help will be gratefully received...

Have you tried the Yahoo Prius group?  It's not as active these days but a number of owners of gen 1& 2 still lurk there.

I think this will find it: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Prius-UK/info

There was a member who posted, I think, late last year who had an older Prius and bought a new hybrid Battery for it from Toyota .......