Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help - Rear Seat Headrests?

victoria45

Hey there. I'm new to the forum so please be kind!

I have a Toyota Yaris S 2002 model. The rear seats weren't made with headrests but now I have a little on on the way. I just wondered if there was a way or somewhere that could fit them? I really don't want to part with my Yaris but it just wouldn't be safe for a growing child after a couple of years.

Thanks guys!

Hi Victoria, welcome to the forum & congrats on your forthcoming happy event :smile:

In a couple of years your Yaris will be 16. I believe that your car at least has Isofix mounts for a babyseat but in 16 years in-car safety systems will have come a long way since 2002 & a new car would be safer & greener (particularly a hybrid). Maybe start thinking about changing it by then - it will probably be coming to the end of its life anyway?

Hello Victoria - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Congratulations as regards your forthcoming little person.

Although your Yaris didn't come with rear headrests, does it have plastic blanking pieces on the top edge of the rear seat where the headrests would fit? If it does, you could probably get some from somewhere like eBay, or you could post a thread in the Wanted section of Toyota Owners Club.

If it doesn't have any blanking pieces on top of the rear seat, it may not have the tubes fitted inside the seat backs for the headrests to slot into.

Hey there.

Thanks for both replying so soon!! 

The rear seats wasn't manufactured with slots for headrests to go. I've got one of my friends who works in garage that modifies cars and he agreed that you wouldn't be able to fit them into the car. Looks like i'm keeping my Yaris for myself and going car shopping for 2nd car. 

Thanks again guys!!

You could surely find a set of rear seats for sale or in a scrappy that has headrests, simply straight swap the rear seat, it's only 4 bolts (or 2 if it's a french build)

I don't see why the OP thinks rear seat headrests are necessary. The child should be in a proper restraint system for years where a headrest would have no effect.

3 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

The child should be in a proper restraint system for years where a headrest would have no effect.

The law says they should be in a car child seat  "until they are either 135 cm in height or 12 years old (which ever they reach first " but it looks like once they hit ~6 years old their heads are likely to be above the back of a child car seat.

Still, another 6 years of use would get her Yaris to 20 if that is what she chooses to do.

Hey guys

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm swapping the back seats for ones with head rests for now, as well as a car seat, obviously. Then looking for an upgrade, yay! Car shopping. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links