Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Auris Sr 1.6 vvti opinions

markquinton

Hi 

My wife has finally decided that she would like to learn to drive. I currently drive an automatic Honda Accord but as she will be learning in a manual I have decided to sell it and purchase a reliable smaller car. I have seen a very clean 1.6 SR which looks nice with the bigger wheels and privacy glass etc. What i am ideally looking for is a car that I will not hate driving (i am a petrol head) whilst she learns to drive as it will be our only car and i will then hand it over to her when she passes and i will get a car that i really want. Is the handling really as bad as some of the reviews suggest or are they just biased?

Also does the 1.6vvti suffer any oil consumption issues like the 1.8's did?

Regards

Mark

As far as I'm aware there have been no oil consumption issues with the 1.6 dual vvti fitted to the Auris.

As regards the 1.8 oil consumption issues, these were subject to a production fix in July 2005.

I don't think the SR is the right choice to buy if she's going to be a learner driver in it. We had one and my wife did not like it, mainly because of the Multi Mode transmission but also because the suspension is too hard and the seats are uncomfortable.

It's also got the problme an awful lot of cars have, poor visibility out the small back window, bulky invisible corners and end of bonnet and the 1st gen Auris has those wee porthole style windows in front of the doors that are all but useless. A few of the manuals i drove had very rubbery gearchanges while my MMT was in for repair - quite a lot of times - and not one i'd recommend for a learner.

A lot of women like smaller cars, Nissan Micras, Honda Jazz and the likes. My wife also nodded approvingly at the Nissan Note which has a nice big rear window and a the rear door is almost flat so it looks easy to judge for reversing. there's a woman I've seen who runs a driving school and her pupils are mainly women (shudder) and she uses either Micras or Corsas. So i'd advise you to think more of what she's going to be happy in if its to become hers after she passes (shudder) and then you can go for your own car.  

I've noticed that some of the independent driving schools locally are using late model first generation Auris for driving tuition.

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I've noticed that some of the independent driving schools locally are using late model first generation Auris for driving tuition.

I'll wager they're not SR models. They probably held a fire sale of 1.4 diesels, the ones that fill the sump with fuel every week.

Another thing I forgot about was the handbrake, how's a learner supposed to master that vertical stick on the Mk 1 Auris?

Which raises that old chestnut Should You Hold In The Button When Applying The Handbrake?

................... Nope says I, never have and never will. 

The handbrake was changed to a conventional one with the facelift of 2010.

Had a 2008 one for 5 years and didn't have any problems with it except as mentioned before, the ride is on the firm side. Gearbox was the plain old 5 speed manual with normal clutch..

Post facelift handbrake -

_28A7390 (736x491).jpg

No glowing reports then :wink:

I suppose the hard ride is dependent on what you have driven in the past, i've had a lot of performance cars in the past so we probably wouldn't find it as harsh as people who have typically owned soft cars in the past.

I could however just hold out for a Mazda 3 or Civic between 3-3.5k but the Auris seemed like a fairly modern type of motor for not much money and in great condition too.

Ask for a test drive to get your own opinion. You may agree or disagree with any points made, and you may find things not mentioned so far.

Personally for me, the boot size, plus the low gearing, resulting high engine revs at high speed, in the early 5 speed. The later Valvematic versions had 6 gears which is better. I looked at the Honda Civic but the boot space, known hard ride, and the possible lack of spare wheel, made my mind to choose my second Avensis.  

• 1 month later...

Had the 1.6vvti SR for a few months - actually the handling is quite nice, although a bit too 'sporty' over bad roads, so will depend what you're driving it on. OK for shorter run stuff up to 60mph, but after that it's under-geared compared to the 1.6 Valvematic 6-speed - motorway driving gets a bit tiring with the engine running at nearly 4K :-(

• Like 1

I wonder what car the OP got in the end? A Yaris would have been a good option. I agree with the Nissan Micra and Note. Corsa are okay, but I have this "Chav" thing about them. 

I would never buy an early Auris due to the low gearing. I would now only buy a Valvematic for the longer, relaxed gearing.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links