Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MMT actuator lubrication (MkII)

MikeSh

I have a 58 plate D4D MMT. There has been some discussion on other threads indicating that one cause of problems with these may be due to the lubricant in the actuators getting old and the resulting stiff operation then messing up the coordination, etc.

There was a description by one user on squirting lube into these (or possibly just the clutch actuator) but I think this was on a petrol version. With a view to doing some pre-emptive oiling (it's over 7 years old and at 47,000m) I had a look under the bonnet of my diesel the other day and the space above the gearbox is well stuffed with the Battery, cabling and intake filter, ducting, etc. No obvious way to get to the actuators without what looks like some significant dismantling. I can probably do it, but I suspect that as I'm not sure exactly where the units are and how they are orientated that by the time I get to them it will turn out I'll have removed quite a lot of stuff that need not have been touched.

So, the question I have is: Has anyone done this on a D4D specifically? If so can you tell me what needs removing (and maybe how) to get at the actuators for the gears and clutch?

If you've done it on a petrol one and have pictures or can describe the location/orientation of the actuators (assuming the gearbox Shell, etc. is the same) then that might be some help.