Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Shift Indicator Arrow Help - Auris Touring 1.4 D4D

termites

Hi,

I've got an Auris Touring Sports 1.4 D4D (Diesel). I have a question regarding the gear shift indicator/arrow lights: when in 5th gear I have to drive the car up to about 80mph before the shift indicator advises me to change into 6th gear. Is this normal? I'm guessing that 6th gear is quite a high ratio. I typically put the car into 6th gear at around 65mph when on the motorway... this is well before the gear shift indicator arrow advises and the car seems to drive okay.

Many thanks, AP

I change to sixth normally in 100km/h, which equalls to 62mph. I get the arrow around that speed, but I have mk1 facelift.

Appreciate mine is a different engine variant, but on the flat I get the change up for sixth gear at 48mph and the car is comfortable at that speed. 

Seems unusual that your change up is 10mph over the legal UK maximum speed limit !

Take it back into your Toyota dealer as something isn't right 

The shift lights are there to to advise you on to change gear for you to be economical, however It doesn't necessarily mean it's the right time to change. They go off at around 1.1K to down shift and 2K to upshift, i don't normally shift there though; i do when the engine is cold though.

From what i can tell they don't run on any other variables apart from engine speed and straight line speed. For example when i'm 10mph and go to neutral when i'm applying the brake and coming to stop at a junction it constantly tells me to down shift; but i'm in neutral?! it doesn't know your current gear; it only knows (in my opinion) engine speed and the speed of the vehicle so it's getting confused as the RPM of the engine is going lower than what you should be doing at that speed.

Like Frosty said, take it back to the dealer if you feel that something is wrong but the computer is doing its job properly, just probably not as you expected :-)

• 1 month later...
On 11 February 2016 at 4:30 PM, lilpopjim said:

...............From what i can tell they don't run on any other variables apart from engine speed and straight line speed..........

I was convinced that there was a tilt sensor or similar in the equation, as I can pick up a down change arrow on the flat and without any change in engine speed or road speed, if I drop in to a dip, the arrow goes off. After reading your reply, I'm now not so sure and wonder if the car is picking up the fact that I've eased off the accelerator to maintain the same road speed ??

My Avensis Mk3 1.8 Valvematic manual has the gear change indicators, and it asks for early up changes on light loads, but if I press down more on the accelerator or go up hill, to change up arrow will go out. Once the required loads met, the change up arrow will come on again. 

If the car is in neutral when slowing down, the system is fooled into thinking it is in a higher gear, so asks for a down change. I never coast with the car in neutral and the clutch dipped, as this actually wastes fuel.    

I assume the system works on speed, engine revs, throttle position and load. 

I think there is a fault with the OP car and it may get worse over time. I wonder if the DPF and/or EGR , or something else has the beginnings of a problem?  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links