Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rough and sluggish at low rpm

jimieee

Hi,

I'm not an IQ owner, but I'm seriously looking at them. I test drove one for the first time today (1.0 vvti) and noticed that it seemed a bit rough (noisy, low vibrations) and sluggish until it got up to 2,000 rpm.

The dealer told me this is normal for sub 1 litre engines - that you have to work them harder. 

Is that right? I was expecting it to be more refined and a bit quicker (I've never driven anything below a 1.3 before, so don't know any better).

At 2,000-4,000 it's pretty smooth and responsive.

Thanks!

The 1 litre will seem noisier and more vibration prone as in common with most 1 litre engines nowadays, it is a three cylinder unit. Manufacturers are turning more to using three cylinder units for engines up to and including 1.2. Toyota, VAG (VW, Seat, Skoda, etc), Ford, GM (Vauxhall), PSA (Peugeot, Citroen), Suzuki, etc all have small three cylinder engines in their cars. Fiat also have a two cylinder unit - the Twin Air.

3 hours ago, jimieee said:

Hi,

I'm not an IQ owner, but I'm seriously looking at them. I test drove one for the first time today (1.0 vvti) and noticed that it seemed a bit rough (noisy, low vibrations) and sluggish until it got up to 2,000 rpm.

The dealer told me this is normal for sub 1 litre engines - that you have to work them harder. 

Is that right? I was expecting it to be more refined and a bit quicker (I've never driven anything below a 1.3 before, so don't know any better).

At 2,000-4,000 it's pretty smooth and responsive.

Thanks!

Hi James and welcome to the iQ forum. I have one of those 1.0 manual iQ's and to a degree, yes, they can vibrate at lower revs. Mine does this whenever it gets around 2000 revs. This can be when accelerating, or driving along in any gear -lets say at 40mph in 5th gear for example- and approaching those 2000 revs. I have had the car for four years, and sometimes, it still annoys me. Then I just think about how reliable it has been and how cheap it is to run. It is a small price to pay for such a great little car.

Presume it is a 2010 - as that is the year showing in the OP's profile

Yes, it's a 2010. 

I don't know whether the EGR has been replaced. 

I managed to reproduce the rough and sluggishness in different gears, so I guess it could be an EGR problem.

From what I've read the EGR would be replaced under warranty. As Toyotas have a 5 year warranty, I guess I would be out of luck.

1 hour ago, jimieee said:

Yes, it's a 2010. 

I managed to reproduce the rough and sluggishness in different gears, so I guess it could be an EGR problem.

.... but that could be a negotiation point as part of the sale (ie you would need the potential EGR issue investigated/put right before collection). Is it a Toyota dealer, other franchise or independent?

I dont know the exact date when they changed it but mine had/has the problem and its a November 59 plate. I still have to put Redex in to keep it clean. 

David

It was at an independent dealer. By that I mean that they only sell secondhand cars and they're not affiliated to any make. The good thing about that was that I could compare it to other makes.

The IQ is a much nicer car than a c1/107 IMHO. Better for me as a tall driver as well. I'd also consider a Fiat 500, but I would rather save 50cm (on length) in my garage.

I found another IQ online that's almost the same, but a 2011. Also an identical price. I'll see if I can test drive that to see how it compares.

3 hours ago, jimieee said:

The IQ is a much nicer car than a c1/107 IMHO. Better for me as a tall driver as well. I'd also consider a Fiat 500 ....

The Aygo is Toyota's equivalent to the C1/107 - essentially the same car, and all three are built at the same plant in The Czech Republic owned by the Joint Venture between Toyota and PSA (Peugeot/Citroen).

The IQ was Toyota's 'premium' offering in the City Car category in Europe, and has a similar relationship to the Aygo, that the Fiat 500 has with the Fiat Panda.

I tried a different IQ today. There was definitely a problem with the first IQ. The second one was generally a lot quieter. It didn't have the roughness I was worried about before.

I only noticed a very small "buzz" around 2,000 rpm, which sounds like what bob809 described. The performance below 2,000 rpm was a lot better as well.

I think I'll just walk away from the first one. The second one seemed like a much tidier example.

Believe me its well worth the 30 quid a year I pay,  

My only regret was not doing my homework before i bought mine. I was'nt aware of a 1.33. I walked into the showroom and saw mine and wanted it there and then. 

David

I too pay the £30 and think it's worth it just for the extra gear in the gearbox. 

Whichever one you end up with you will love it, Great little machines. 

Craig.

Mines just turned over 90k miles,never misses a beat, they did try to sell me a 3 cyl iq, but  I always wanted the 1.33 the daily commute is all motorway and dual carriageway.

I just want one as a second car for regular short journeys across town and occasional longer trips.

I think it's not going to matter too much whether it's a 1.0 or 1.33.

The size, practicality and quality are more important to me. 

They dont come much better , mine does 360 plus miles a week , and handy for nipping round town, and it still makes me feel like billy wiz after nearly 6 years,I do have the perfect combo, 3 door rav for holidays and shopping, iq for the rest, 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links