Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manufactuers waranty - 2014 Rav4

Andy Hwd

Hoping for some advice please.  Recently purchased a 64 reg Rav4 ICON from a garage supermarket,  The car was previously owned by Enterprise and although the mileage was higher than   the average (34k) the price was good and the car runs great - no problems.  It has no service book but there was a document saying it had regular oil changes and states at what mileage.  In the  future I intend to keep it regularly serviced, most likely by my local Toyota dealer as I found them great with my last RAV4 before this one - a 57 reg.  My question is if I should get problems in the future during the 5 year warranty does the lack of initial Toyota service history (or any other garage as it looks like Enterprise did it themselves) invalidate any warranty?  Also there is no book at all for service stamps - is this something that can be obtained?  One other question about the car please - the front tyres will need changing soon.  It has the original Goodrich Duelers.  Is it wise to replace with the same?  Looking at the internet suggested Hankook, Uniroyal and Yokohama were better for noise and fuel efficiency but surely Toyota would put the best suited tyres on their vehicles. Thanks for any advice.

Although Block Exemption (the legislation that covers servicing during the new car warranty) allows for non franchised dealer servicing whilst maintaining the new car warranty, it is down to the owner to have evidence that the car has been serviced according to the manufacturer's service schedule (ie. every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and that parts of sufficient specification have been used) and that the warranty's terms and conditions have been met. 

If it is just evidence of oil changes being undertaken that you have, not sure whether that will be sufficient evidence should a warranty repair be needed.

In Europe it is only Toyota GB who provide the five year/100,000 mile warranty as standard. The 3 year/60,000 mile warranty is the norm for other European countries. Do you have evidence that the car was supplied to Enterprise by Toyota GB? If the car was supplied, for example, by Toyota Ireland (which is also a right hand drive market), the lesser warranty would probably be applicable.

In the past some car supermarkets have sold cars which were supplied from outside the UK.

The service book usually details from which dealership supplied the car. As this wasn't supplied, that is another piece of evidence missing. You could ask a Toyota dealer to check the car's history, which may determine whether the car was supplied by Toyota GB, and which level of warranty it has.

I doubt that a service book complete with stamps could be obtained legitimately, as the dealer would effectively be signing up to something they have no proof of.

Usually car manufactures source tyres from a choice of manufacturers to ensure continuity of supply. Using a Toyota spreadsheet which is subject to regular updates by Toyota, the Rav 4 from 2012 is fitted with the following tyres as OE: Yokohama Geolanders G91A, Bridgestone Dueler H/T 887, Dunlop Grandtrek ST30 and Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

Does your profile need updating?

Toyota dealers also have digital records of servicing done though the dealer network. Ideally the service book would need to be backed up by invoices, etc for the history to be meaningful.

Thanks for your help Frostyballs.  I will see what my local Toyota dealership can find and also get a service done if not showing.  The car supermarket where I got the car had around 10 such RAV4's across their various locations and all very similar mileage .   I can see others with almost identical number plates, mileage and identical spec with other dealers       around the UK including Toyota dealers so don't know if  Enterprise were changing their fleet as all cars are 14 or 64 reg,  With regard to the service book - I am looking for a blank one so I have a history of service since I have owned the car although I realise pre my ownership this cannot be completed.  Thanks again. 

Often hire companies shed vehicles from their fleets through established routes, which may include auctions, car supermarkets or dealers.

Large driving schools lease their cars, keep them between 6 and 12 months, return them to the leasing company who then dispose of the cars. For example Ford have a contract with the AA driving school where any cars which are returned at lease end, are refurbished and sold through Ford dealers irect. Vauxhall had a similar arrangement with BSM, where returned cars are refurbished and sold through Network Q. BSM are now using Peugeots.

You should be able to get a blank service book from a Toyota dealer but it may cost you something.

Yesterday I went to my local Toyota dealer to look at a Rav 4, it turned out to be one of these  Ex hire cars with no stamps in the service book and had been serviced by the hire company's own staff.

I asked about future problems with warranty and was told by the dealer that Toyota have approved the hire company to service the vehicles and if I purchased the car I would be given a document to state that the car had been serviced by the hire company and would have no warranty problems.

I didn't buy the car as due to the high mileage and signs of driver abuse I will keep looking but as you say there does seem to be a lot of them on the market at the moment.

12 minutes ago, revband said:

Yesterday I went to my local Toyota dealer to look at a Rav 4, it turned out to be one of these  Ex hire cars with no stamps in the service book and had been serviced by the hire company's own staff.

I asked about future problems with warranty and was told by the dealer that Toyota have approved the hire company to service the vehicles and if I purchased the car I would be given a document to state that the car had been serviced by the hire company and would have no warranty problems.

.... but would that be the case with an ex-hire car sold by a non-Toyota dealer?

I can't guarantee it of course, but the dealer says that Toyota will accept the hire company's proof of service, because they are approved by Toyota to carry out the work.

I can't see that a Toyota franchised dealer would be selling them with invalid warranty.

2 minutes ago, revband said:

I can't guarantee it of course, but the dealer says that Toyota will accept the hire company's proof of service, because they are approved by Toyota to carry out the work.

I can't see that a Toyota franchised dealer would be selling them with invalid warranty.

Haven't implied that a Toyota dealer would sell a car with an invalid warranty.

I've questioned whether the same acceptance would apply with an ex-hire car sold by a non-Toyota dealer (ie. a car supermarket).

The OP has a car sold by a car supermarket with a document stating what and when oil changes were done.

OK just read the first paragraph and ignore the last one, the hire company (Enterprise) are apparently approved to carry out the service by Toyota UK.

Thanks for the replies and help everyone.  I visited my local Toyota dealer today to check the history.  This is a UK car and did show up on their database as they had previously done some work on the clutch.  The next service due is 40,000.  They advised me this was a full service but what does that cover?  I know it's a fixed price and was given a guide but it did not detail what a full service entails.  My local Mr Toyota has always been good however so I think nearer the time I will used them.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json

At 40,000 think that a Full + service is recommended rather than a Full. Comparison file https://www.toyota.co.uk/download/cms/gben/ToyotaFixedPriceServicing_tcm-3060-294039.pdf

In addition to these prices the vehicle may also require Maintenance Options

Brake Fluid £39

Automatic Transmission Fluid**From £109

Pollen Filter £39

Limited Slip Differential Oil**£55

Timing Belt**£289

Front Differential Oil**£39

Coolant Change From £65

Rear Differential Oil**From £25

Gear Oil From £39

**Where applicable

The first coolant change will be due at 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and then every 5 years/50,000 miles.

Enterprise are not authorised by Toyota in any way shape or form ! They can however have their vehicles serviced by whoever they choose the same as any private individual can under the terms of "Block exemption" however in case of any warranty claim Enterprise would have to provide sufficient evidence that he car has been maintained to Toyota's requirements and as such they would need to provide, an Invoice detailing labour & parts from a VAT registered garage that can prove it was worked on by a suitably trained technician & full details of all the checks carried out without this there is no service history, date and mileage on a piece of paper or word of mouth is not

Then it looks like the dealer is telling lies, I am now even more pleased that I didn't buy it.

Or possibly not as the case may be, what they also said was that I would receive a document supplied by Enterprise detailing the service history, I understand that Enterprise employ their own technicians and such a big company will certainly be VAT registered.

On the purchase agreement they produced which I still have unsigned of course, it does state 40 months warranty.

43 minutes ago, revband said:

Then it looks like the dealer is telling lies, I am now even more pleased that I didn't buy it.

Or possibly not as the case may be, what they also said was that I would receive a document supplied by Enterprise detailing the service history, I understand that Enterprise employ their own technicians and such a big company will certainly be VAT registered.

On the purchase agreement they produced which I still have unsigned of course, it does state 40 months warranty.

Yes, on the face of it the car has 40 months warranty remaining. However, it won't be until a warranty claim is made and whatever service history the car has is scrutinised, that one will find out whether or not the warranty is still valid, especially if another Toyota dealer, who may or may not accept the document from Enterprise, is considering the claim in conjunction with Toyota.

Interesting as my local dealer said the work done previously was done in warranty, suggesting the Toyota dealer who did it was happy that Enterprise had maintained the vehicle in line with the warranty.  As mentioned previously I have no problems so will not know what my local dealer would say if I had reason to claim on the warranty which as Frostyballs says may then be a different story.

If the car has had previous warranty work without any problem, I don't see why it would be different in the future, Toyota sell these cars to Enterprise knowing they will be resold to Joe public in the near future, also Toyota's own franchised dealers are selling them, I really can't see that this would be the case if Toyota were to invalidate the warranty.

I didn't buy the one I looked at because it looked unloved, but had the car been right then I would still be happy to buy one.

Enjoy the car and don't worry.