Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 automatic

ianleslie

Am I correct in stating that there are two types of auto box fitted to Rav4 , the newer is a cvt and there is an older.

Can anyone advise what the older type was as there has been some unsatisfactory reports of the cvt box currently fitted.

Thanks

welcome to the forum :)

which engine type & year are you interested in?

I am after a Diesel D4D.

I owned a manual diesel for 10 years, best car I ever had.

Stupidly sold it.

Am after an automatic replacement.

Model not that important, as long as it is fitted with a non cvt box

I hear that the current auto cvt gearbox does not rise and fall like earlier autos but reaches a crescendo at high revs which is intrusive.

I have been told that previous auto gearboxes were more like the old fashioned auto change.

4 hours ago, berian said:

I am after a Diesel D4D.

I owned a manual diesel for 10 years, best car I ever had.

Stupidly sold it.

Am after an automatic replacement.

Model not that important, as long as it is fitted with a non cvt box

I hear that the current auto cvt gearbox does not rise and fall like earlier autos but reaches a crescendo at high revs which is intrusive.

I have been told that previous auto gearboxes were more like the old fashioned auto change.

The RAV 4.2 (2000-2006) used a normal torque converter automatic but it was only available on the petrol models; 4.2 diesels were manual 5-speed only. The autobox in this version was brilliant and when matched with the 2.0 litre VVt-i engine, was a very refined drivetrain. The downside is that the VVt-i is not terribly fuel efficient especially in auto form. The only problem to watch out for is a gearbox ECU failure on the early 4.2s (up to 2003) which causes erratic gear changes that can destroy the box in a very short time if you continue using it. A simple re-flash of the software by someone like ECUTesting in Derby solves the problem permanently for about £300-ish. Post-2003 cars have revised software that eliminates the problem; you can recognise these cars as they have round fogs at the front, the front indicators are incorporated in the headlamp units, the steering wheel includes controls for the stereo on the "9 o'clock" spoke and the nodel designations are XT3, XT4, XT5. We've had three 4.2 autos (including our current one) and they have been excellent cars.

The 4.3 petrol (2006 -2013) came with a CVT box attached to the same VVt-i 2.0l engine. I test drove one a while back and I could not tell any difference with the normal TC box. It certainly didn't exhibit any of the old Daf-esque over-revving. The early 4.3 diesels were still manual only but an autobox was added in about 2009 MY to the 2.2l D-CAT diesel and this was a torque converter 6-speed with manual sport mode flappy paddles as well. We had a 12-reg and it was a great car. Again, not the best on MPG (about 31-32 mpg but improved to 35-36 by adding a chip kit available from Parts King on this forum).

I haven't driven the current 4.4 model (from March, 2013) so cannot comment personally. From what I've heard however they are improved on the earlier cars.

To add to what Jim has posted ... the 2.2 D-CAT engine 4.4 from March 2013 on can be had with the same 6-speed torque converter auto as the earlier 4.3 with possibly even better sport mode options (smarter ECU). Its very nice ...

Edit: .. though, unfortunately the 2.2 was dropped from the line-up from MY2016 so our choice are now 2.0 diesel (FWD manual), 2.0 petrol (AWD, diesel) and 2.5 Hybrid petrol (CVT).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links