Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2010 headlights

Maria & Phil

We have recently moved to France and are in the process of re-registering our vehicle.  We have been told that we need to replace the headlights with European ones.  We wondered if the existing headlights had adjustable beams but have not been able to find out.  We speak only a little French, so don't want to go to a local distributor without first find out if we do need to replace them or not. Can anyone tell us the answer?

Hello Maria - welcome to Toyota Owners Club .

Moved to the Avensis club.

Another member who is noving from Belgium to the UK with their Yaris, is having to replace their headlights for UK ones, so the answer may be similar for your Avensis.

Headlights. Possibly rear lights depending on whether or not you have two reverse lights. Single rear fog will be on wrong side. Speedo, perhaps not as UK spec cars marked in KPH as well as MPH. Regards.

Can't answer your specific question but having a quick trawl through the online parts websites here in France a pair of new headlights would be about 250€. Then fitting on top.

As for the rear lights and speedo mentioned I have never heard of this as a problem with all the people I have known re-register their cars.

Welcome to France.

As gloucester mentioned UK speedos have both mph & kph so don't see that being an issue. 

• Like 1

Lived in Spain and it is a problem with some rear lights. Bring a car back here and it's hardly worth the effort. Too much to do! I thought so anyway. Regards.

replacement rear fog/reverse light clusters would be about £50 each, so ~ £100 total in parts. Don't know if the looms would crossover as is but I am sure that the cables could be extended cheaply.

As I understand it you will need to swap your headlights over but can disconnect your fog lamp at the rear and connect it (with a new cable) to a bolt on fog lamp on the correct side of the car.  Usually fitted on the bottom of the bumper on the offside for the country you are in, so left I presume.  Reversing light is irrelevant as it is an aid to the driver rather than a saferty feature as such.

Buy a foglamp in France then you will have two if it's legal to have two there. And all oe. 

As already mentioned, you will have to replace the headlights with LHD versions. I had mine swapped, I got mine for around €200 on eBay.de, and paid €100 to have them fitted. I managed to get away without changing the foglight, but it is a technical requirement so you should budget for changing that too. You can change the odometer to read in KM by changing the cluster display to settings and go to the units menu. 

I could never get my 2007 Yaris from Spain to read in MPH. Digital display. One reason I didn't bother to get it changed for UK use. Got such a good price in p ex not worth the bother. Regards.