Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Celica 1.8vvti clicking engine problem

Anya

I bought Toyota Celica 1.8vvti,105kw, about 7 years ago. It had about 87 000km. Everything was ok till i parked my car for about 1year. Now car has about 130 000 km. I started engine from time to time, maby not often as i should. After that i drive it another 200km and after that i started to hear clicking noise from engine. Mechanic told me that the flywheel turned and that it should be replaced. Also he noticed crack on camshaft
(pictures)

toyota_problem2.jpg

toyota_problem1.jpg

and told me that it was crack that is smaller on surface than inside, and as we
grind camshaft, crack will get bigger and bigger. He also told me that crack has to be factory problem. Same answer from several other experts but for camshaft only.
I contacted Toyota dealer and they started to ask me who detect crack on camshaft, in what toyota service, where was it periodicly serviced, how much km car has, and that i had to bring car or at least camshaft. I started to argue with them because i dont understand what has crack got to do with periodical service etc. and that my car is broken without engine and i can not bring it to them easy. They told me to bring hem camshaft. When i talket with them they told me that they dont see the crack, and i told them that it is because of bad light. After bringing lamp, they saw crack but say that it is almost not visable. I told them that problem beggins when camshaft gets hot, than crack gets bigger, and that i see that dont now anything about camshaft technology. I expected x-ray diagnostic, but i got only stuped questions. I contacted Toyota Europa, and got same letter. I asked them to give me adress where can i send camshaft so they can see, they told me to contact my toyota dealer and solve problem with them.

Now all i have left is to try to contact Toyota Japan, and to send them camshaft, or ask you guys for opinion or idea what to to.

Before you contact Toyota Japan, that's a picture of a crankshaft you have posted, not a camshaft.

A camshaft looks like this

Camshaft.png

Also, what do you expect them to do? Your car, which you bought at least second hand if not more owners,  is probably at least 10 years old & has 130,000+ km on it. Here in the UK you would have no grounds for any claim.

You can probably buy a replacement part for a few hundred €.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links