Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss of power in traffic

VosperD

Car starts and runs fine but on a couple of occasions when getting caught in traffic it appears to be running on only 3 cylinders. Eventually recovers and seems ok on a run. In for a service tomorrow but wondering what the possible cause could be.

Cheers

Don,

Bristol

Do you notice any stuttering and what feels like a loss of power? I think my car is doing the same though it's early stages.

My guess, coil pack. Inexpensive and quick to replace

My daughter was driving  it at the time and says it shudders and struggles up hills. I agree a plug sounds likely but my expertise is in cars of the 50's with one coil and a carb.

When you say coil pack is that for one plug or a set of four?

It's going in for a service and MoT tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to post the result in the evening.

Cheers

Don

Not too sure about coil pack on a Yaris, only just bought mine a couple of weeks ago.

I have experience with a different make of car, the coil pack was just a block with 4 bolts to unscrew and I remember changing all the leads too, leads come in a pack since there all connected, can't buy separately and very cheap. Not too clued up about cars.

I changed leads myself which was really easy and got a mechanic I knew to change the coil pack which I could have also done myself.

Let us know how you get on. I'll be going garage myself next week, moving home this week and have no time

No definite conclusion I'm sorry to say. The mechanic didn't find any specific problem during the service and test drive. Plugs were changed so we'll have to see how it goes. I'm tempted to buy a coil pack  or two to keep handy. Of course i;ve just realised that these cars don't have plug leads as such which used to be a source of problems.

Anyway at least it passed its MoT.

Cheers

Don

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links