Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

wheel beaings

Duncsribs

Hi,

I am newly divorced and looking after twin girls and my much loved Toyota Avensis Estate car.  My husband used to take care of car stuff while I did other things.  I now find myself with the opportunity to take care of everything (hurrah!) and wish to learn a bit more about what I should be paying at the garage for services, tyres etc.

My Avensis has just been serviced with a recommendation that it will cost £84.98 per wheel bearing (with service and tax, a whopping £328.75).  On line it states that this model ((Avensis GS D4-D, 2003) can be fitted with a kit that costs £38 per wheel.

Please advise, thanks.

Duncsribs 

From your local indie garage... If you're correct about the bearings then £75, plus about an hour labour per side to fit them, so maybe about £130.  Plus a light service at about £100, more if it needs things like an alternator belt etc.  And also more if your particular car needs the modern fancy expensive engine oil.

Obviously Toyota dealers would be more expensive.

Thanks alan333,

I am thinking it should be around £150 tops as the car has been serviced today.  Really can't see where £328.75 is coming from.

did they not give you a breakdown? how many wheels need new bearings?

Both front wheels, £84.98 each plus VAT plus labour. See below.

Parts sub total £169.96

Net total £273.96

VAT £54,79

Total: a glorious £328.75

Hello Jane - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Presumably the online kits would be from 3rd party manufacturers, so there may be a difference in terms of quality, etc. Toyota would probably only supply complete bearings. Suppose at the end of the day its your choice as to what you have fitted and by whom.

Are they quoting for genuine Toyota parts? These will be dearer than 3rd party.

PartsKing on here could give you a quote for genuine Toyota parts probably with a small discount.

Seems odd that both front wheels need bearings at the same time. Second opinion needed I think. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links