Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris SR180 - Is it really worth it?

lilpopjim

Hi guys, long time lurker etc.

I've owned an SR180 for about a week now. Unfortunately this car does have a head gasket problem; i'm taking it back to the dealer for a full refund which is good.

I love the car, all the automatic features, sunroof, keyless everything etc etc.. the engine is superb (could have more low end torque though.) and i love the long gears too, and after looking at Astras and Focuss the Auris really is on the moon compared to interior design and quality.. Unfortunately (despite being a decent engine) the faults i hear about the engine on this forum are really putting me off..

So i ask, Is the SR180 worth it? Worth the headache of the constant worry of a blown head gasket? 

Do people on this forum owe this car (as well as the T180) What are your current/ previous problems with the car? Are you still happy?

EXTRA:

After lurking for a good month while waiting for a decent quality car (this was immaculate in every respect except the engine unfortunately..) i've read every single post about the HG problems with all the SR180 D-CAT engines etc. It's got me extremely worried about getting another car just to get the same problem again. I know the X amount of people on the forums only come on (mainly) to complain about serious issues etc but still. I know it's most likely a small percentage of engines going bust however it's gotten me extremely paranoid about purchasing another SR180. I really do love the car and after driving it for a week on long as well as short journeys i really don't want to veer off and avoid this car completely. It's far superior in every respect to my Corolla T-Sport (which will soon be for sale!)

For cars which have either had a factory modified replacement engine or were built after September 2009, I'm sure owners would say 'yes, it is worth it.'

Only Toyota know the extent of the problems, although it is thought the percentage affected may be relatively small.

For cars that were built between September 2006 and September 2009, which haven't had a factory modified engine, the majority of which are now outside Toyota's period of goodwill coverage for repaiirs, there is a fairly large question mark over them. Certainly for those cars which exhibit the fault outside the goodwill period, the repair is probably uneconomic when compared to the value of the car.

How could i tell if a car has the factory modified engine? The engine manufacture date would be different from the vehicle registration date. As said on my other post i do love the car and the engine. It's just a shame it suffers this problem; the car certainly is worth it to me!

You noted that the repair costs £5,000 - £6,000 when these cars are only really worth £3,500 to £4,500. Not very economical at all!

Thanks for the reply again Frosty; first reply out of 60 views!

A Toyota dealer should be able to view a car's service history and confirm whether or not a replacement engine has been fitted.

Friend at Toyota confirmed service history and previous repairs carried out on the SR180 i currently have.

Is there a way to visually tell? I heard that they put the same engine number on the new engine as they grind off the original number to then stamp on the new one etc.

I'm sure the new ones had different EGR valves but i may be mistaken. 

did he say whether it had a dealer rebuild or a Toyota exchange unit? Early on dealers rebuilt the engines but later on Toyota switched over to factory exchange units (I surmise either due to dealer rebuilds failing again or economics of the numbers involved).

I still say get rid of it - you know that it has a problem that could cost more than the car is worth to fix properly.

I think it's the stock engine. The data basically said X amount of services as well as new injectors all round and new water pump year and  a half ago. At this stage it was a bargain at 3 grand as they guy had no idea it had this work done. .

I believe you're right though. I've heard of rebuilt engines being diagnosed with the same problem; expensive too! 

I'm definitely getting rid of it. I'm just waiting for the log book to arrive so i can get rid of the car. Frustrating as the engine runs absolutely fine, it's just loosing coolant (a lot). I picked my mrs from University yesterday after noon. Had to put in 2 litres of water after 130 miles round trip. A stupid amount..

I'm not looking forward to returning to my T-Sport Corolla until i get another Auris. I hate the bl***ly; thing. It's so damn loud.

Hi Lewis,

Like you I had my doubts about buying an SR180 but took the plunge and bought a 2009 car thinking that the engine problem had been cured. ( I have since found out that my engine was built in late 2008 so is the original suspect engine. I like the car too much to worry about the HG problem and after 87K I recon it's just about run in as it has appeared to 'loosen up' and seems to be really fast. My advice with these engines is to use the revs and never run around town or run short distances without them being thoroughly warm  otherwise it cokes up the engine. Finally change the oil frequently ( every 5K for me) and use the right oil. Mine has never used oil or water, just a pity the fuel consumption is not that great, but that's probably because \I use the power !

Hi Steve (i didn't notice peoples names were to the left!)

Thanks for the reply.

I love the car i have too. It is suffering from the HG problem as said.. i top up the coolant every time i use it. Before i used it today i put in another litre so it turns out i lost 3 litres of coolant (mostly water now) when i done a 130 mile round trip. I'm not too worried about it. i've actually considered keeping it (most stupidly) though i know its best to return it, which is why i am returning it.

I'd recommend a good oil change frequently on this engine just like you said. I hear of carbon deposits in the piston rings which cause the problem so changing the oil regularly as you do is probably the best way to keep it healthy and washed of anything that builds up. Your car sounds good though! (selling by any chance? ;). Do you use 0w/30 or 5w/30? manual says 5w/30. To be honest only difference it makes is the 0w/5w.. thickness in the winter etc.

What kind of fuel consumption do you get? On that 130 mile round trip i averaged 38MPG but i was cruising at 80 majority of the time, hit a lot of traffic so constantly 'start stop' to that speed and back.

Thanks for your input. I'll definitely get another SR180 but getting one with all the auto gadgetry and keyless stuff is hard especially with the sunroof too! (basically a T180 with SR180 styling etc).

Also, how many miles have you completed/ any problems you've had? 

Hi Lewis,

you can buy my car if you like !

Only £3500. 87K, years MOT (no advisories) in black. Doesn't have keyless start or sat nav or sunroof but has everything else. I might upgrade to a newer Auris or an MPS, I've had absolutely no problems with it, and apart from brakes and tyres have not replaced anything else in my 13 moths ownership. Done 12K in that time.It's had 3 oil changes and a brake fluid change. Fuel consumption is about 35 back and forward to work in winter and 40mpg on a run. Best I ever had was 48mpg when I thought I might run out of diesel and drove like a granny for 50 miles. (not too many garages in the north of Scotland). Turns out I still had 7 litres left even if the range said 0 and the 2nd stage reserve was flashing.

I'll certainly consider it. I'm really looking for a car for all the bells and whistles (leather and satnav seem pretty damn rare though!) 

Sounds like a good example with your maintenance regime! I've heard that the range only counts down to the 'reserve' fuel which generally leave 2 gallons of fuel. I never want to push it though. I always think 's**t'!

I didn't realise you were 160 miles away from me! I'll keep you in my books. It's expensive to drive all the way back up and down; My father (who will drive me up of course) will burn way over 10 gallons of diesel with his car.

Thanks for the offer and information, I appreciate it. I'll keep you in my books like i said.

Steve,

Would you be able to send me a picture of your expansion tank? I'm curious to see what it looks like on a good engine.

As far as i can tell, the section where the bleeder valve is should be full of coolant and not air!  Also, what does the return pipe look like when the engine is on? Is it a constant stream of coolant or does it have bubbles mixed in?

Thanks.

Hello there.

I currently have a SR180 for sale on Gumtree.If you look it up I'm in Gloucester.Ignore the price its being shown at as it it is to high.If you are interested I'm sure we can come to some agreement. I've owned the car for nearly 5 years now and have had no problems with any engine issues.Its been a great car and surprisingly quick car,quite a sleeper.  

• Ad ID: 1153657181 if this helps.
  •  

Hi,

Thanks for the offer! How come you're switching cars? I'm really looking to buy from a dealer, mainly because of the 30 month warranty etc; I may look into it though.

I also like how you say it's a sleeper yet you have twin exhaust and body kit :tongue:

Had to buy a automatic, the wife with her condition is struggling to use manual these days.Body kit and exhaust are factory fitted.

Ah i see. Hope the auto pans out well for you.

Guy i bought my SR180 off is going to have it repaired by an ex Toyota Technician (supposedly) etc so hopefully my car will be able to hold coolant without spraying it everywhere!

Thanks for your offer. Good luck with the car!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i thought every sr180/t180 suffered from this problem but when checking the history on my vehicle the lady on the phone at Toyota GB confirmed that not every single car suffered with the head gasket issue just a small percentage.

i'm tempted to call again and ask for that in writing.

12 minutes ago, mrimmy said:

Hi i thought every sr180/t180 suffered from this problem but when checking the history on my vehicle the lady on the phone at Toyota GB confirmed that not every single car suffered with the head gasket issue just a small percentage.

i'm tempted to call again and ask for that in writing.

Even if Toyota GB provided the information in writing, which is doubtful, where will that get you. Either your car won't have a head gasket problem or it will. If it does it will be one of the small percentage.  You won't have any comeback.

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

Even if Toyota GB provided the information in writing, which is doubtful, where will that get you. Either your car won't have a head gasket problem or it will. If it does it will be one of the small percentage.  You won't have any comeback.

That's what i thought when the lady told me on the phone she very much to the point that it was a small percentage of cars and mine was not one of them as it has been serviced by toyota on every service till i purchased the car

From the information contained within the first post of the following, the head gasket problems affected Auris with AD engines built up to Sept 2009 - 

So presumably your car was built after this date. 

• Like 1