Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do I change a licence plate bulb on a 1.4 D4D estate

jud

Hello everyone, 

I wonder if you could help me. One of my licence plate bulbs needs changing on my 2005 Corolla 1.4 D4D Automatic estate, but for the life of me I don't know how to access it.
The problem is that there there are no small doors that open up in the inside plastic panel and there are no visible poppers. Must I try to pry the whole inside cover off? 

(p.s. after a reply by a forum member about options, please note that there are no screws connecting the light to the tail gate.)

Thanks for any help you can give me. 

Have got the hatch which does have the inside access plate; the book says for the estate -

" Undo the two screws securing the ligth unit to the tail gate, Rotate the bulb holder anti-clockwise and pull it from the light unit. Pull the wedge bulb from the holder "

hth

Hi oldcodger. Thanks very much for your reply. The only problem is that there are no screws securing the light  to the tail gate. It's a tricky one this.

Never actually looked at that light on an estate, but if there are no screws or rear access cover then it must come off with a pull/push/turn or twist.

This pic is from an non uk corolla but might be a similar way to how yours is attached, trouble is its probably a very  firm fit after many years on there.

000224.jpg.098870a9b819ed59305dc19fba752

Thanks again hth for your reply. To be honest I don't even know if that picture refers to the inside of the car or the outside. Not very clear these manuals !!

The biggest problem at this point is that there is nothing on the outside to suggest it can be removed from the outside. On the inside the hard plastic boot lining has no small access doors. I'm just going to have to risk it at this point and see if that lining can be pried off completely hoping that there are invisible rivets on its underside....

Jud

Don't normally find Toyota doing really daft things like that where you have to take half the car apart to change a bulb.

However just looked in my Toyota handbook and it does show the "wagon" version and you do have to remove the  whole rear cover, held on by 11 studs.

To remove the bulb it shows you need to twist the bulb holder anticlockwise, then pull.

good man . Yes, just did that and the studs are indeed there. No problems then changing out the bulb, although I did notice the bulb casing was very scorched. Would not be surprised if the casing needs changing too soon. Thanks for all your help. 
J.