Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Specific Oil

JeffreyR

Hi all, 

I have a 2006 (56) petrol Rav4. I have attached the page for oil...but I am having serious difficulty finding the specific oil they recommend. I can find 5w-30 everywhere but it recommends the 'SM' or 'SL' grades.

The only grade that is close to those which I can find is 'SN' (not 'SM'). Is that the same thing? Also, do the 'C' numbers affect anything? (e.g. C3)?

I realise getting the right oil is important and I know I need to get 5w-30 but the details are giving me a headache! I don't want to use the wrong oil so any help is muchly appreciated. Many thanks.

-Jeff

DSC_1367.JPG

The American Petroleum Institute (API) specs get upgraded from time to time, and supplies of previous specs become exhausted in time (ie the oils get purchased). API SN is the latest spec, so just use that.

The ACEA grading system is used in Europe - A, B or C accompanied by one number (eg A1, B2, C2). The C grades denotes the oil is suitable for use in diesel engines with a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

See http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-789-acea.aspx

Great thank you Frosty, I will just get some 5w-30 SN and use that :)

I have posted many many times about the use of oil, B&M  Bargains are selling top spec 5/30w oil it will perform perfectly in your Rav4 it,s £15, Home & Bargains are also selling British made 5/30W for £14 both are fully synthetic the one at B&M's is high millage the very latest oil spec, if you spend any more it,s chucking cash out when you open the drain plug, some members will not agree, but I have worked on motor vehicles since the very early 70's and seen all the hype etc. buy some Mobil 1 and pay the premium for the hype the use to sell it.

On 12/02/2016 at 10:23 AM, the fox said:

I have posted many many times about the use of oil, B&M  Bargains are selling top spec 5/30w oil it will perform perfectly in your Rav4 it,s £15, Home & Bargains are also selling British made 5/30W for £14 both are fully synthetic the one at B&M's is high millage the very latest oil spec, if you spend any more it,s chucking cash out when you open the drain plug, some members will not agree, but I have worked on motor vehicles since the very early 70's and seen all the hype etc. buy some Mobil 1 and pay the premium for the hype the use to sell it.

Just because you've been changing oil since the 70's (so have I) doesn't make you an expert on modern day motor oils. Most oils back then were mineral oils and engines didn't have either the same performance or emission control requirements.

Which motor manufacturers have B & M's oil on their approved lists?

I don't think B&M's make oil BUT THEY SELL IT, the problem is many don't understand oil, most Toyota dealers don't even stock 5/30's so you get what ever they buy in bulk. the oil in B&M's is roughly £25, but they are selling it for £14.99 low ash low sap's and long life will suit any modern vehicle, I have been servicing vehicle's SINCE the early 70's and know what a decent oil is, the oil at Home Bargains is British made fully synthetic and 5/30w's at £13.99p Bargain

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links