Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Hybrid Excel

Uncle Wang

Hello there, I am seriously considering the above, after much deliberation with various manufacturers. Just wondering whether anyone here has one and what they think of it! also, does the Excel come with a CD player?....im afraid I am old school and not interested in all this plug in/ flash drive stuff! Thank you

The Hybrid was only available from mid January, so less than four weeks, and it may be early days for any owners to have any firm opinions.

45 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Hybrid was only available from mid January, so less than four weeks, and it may be early days for any owners to have any firm opinions.

Okay, thank you for that...I didn't realise.

I test drove this as soon as it arrived at Toyota Reading.

It was nice, but if I were going to spend that sort of money, I'd spend it on something else {possibly a second hand Lexus RX450h, which is in a different league altogether).

It just did not have that wow factor and the whining noise of the hybrid which sort of caught up with the car after accelerating was annoying.

Hi Bobby.

I was thinking about going for one of these but after reading your brief report the wining transmission would drive me insane. There's nothing wrong with the one I have, it's very similar to yours and with less than 10,000 miles on the clock I can't justify handing over so much more money just for a newer shape.

Hope you are ok mate, Mike.

Just found out.....the lead time for delivery of the above is 6 months!!!......is that right?

I test drove this as soon as it arrived at Toyota Reading.

It was nice, but if I were going to spend that sort of money, I'd spend it on something else {possibly a second hand Lexus RX450h, which is in a different league altogether).

It just did not have that wow factor and the whining noise of the hybrid which sort of caught up with the car after accelerating was annoying.

If I placed an order when I test drove it, I was given a February delivery date.

When I tested this car, if I placed an order, I was given a February delivery date.

12 minutes ago, Uncle Wang said:

Just found out.....the lead time for delivery of the above is 6 months!!!......is that right?

If it requires a car specially built for you to your spec. it's possible as it's a couple of months on the ship to the UK. If it is something either available ex-stock in the UK or can be dealer-fitted to required spec. then obviously a lot quicker.

Dealers will often rather try to sell what they have in stock so the salesman may have bent the truth trying to get you to buy what he had ex-stock ...

Hi Bobby, when did you test drive it for a February delivery date?

They obviously had a few on hand for quick buyers and it sounds like they have all been allocated, hence the longer wait.

But come on, 6 months for a Rav !!!!

Toyota UK where first to launch the Hybrid Rav in Europe and to give a good start for our unique bi-annual registration rush we received priority in the initial factory order, however Toyota GB predicted a 50/50 split of orders between hybrid & conventional petrol/diesel and they got it wrong currently the order mix is 70% hybrid 30% conventional running our initial stock out quicker than expected.

The current order wave gives priority to the continent for their launch reducing RHD availability, add in a steel shortage in Japan due a factory accident resulting in Toyota having to stop all Japanese production and current delivery on a factory order is now creeping into July.

Knowing Toyota they will quickly address the steel shortage, factory shut down and increase factory shifts to catch up but at present Rav Hybrids are hard to come by.

Have just ordered an Excel hybrid and it is indeed July delivery. Factory fitted towbar for the caravan.

• 2 weeks later...

Test drove and ordered mine on 23rd Jan,  an Icon Hybrid with a few extras (tow bar & protection pack). Been called today by Inchape Basingstoke, to say the earliest delivery is sometiime in June and thats still not a confirmed date,  they have sold far more than expected and that have been manufactured to date. She told me some colours and models now have an August/Sept delivery if ordered now. Really looking forward to getting so very dissapointed!!!  I will be compensated, but it seems like Toyota have been caught cold on this one.

The wife recently bought a PHEV, see traded in her 2006 2.2 Rav4, you may want to consider alternatives, it was a bit pricier than the RAV but up to date it's been 100% perfect...  

• 4 months later...

Well apparently a big delivery of Rav4 Hybrids coming in this week, so hopefully a lot of smiley new owners next week, me being one of them.

• Like 1

Well just been told on the day of delivery that it has been delayed by 2 weeks. Something  a little fishy I think, maybe delivery damage.

Suppose it depends when this week the ship is due to dock - if it is today or tomorrow, and presumably they have to undergo some sort of check process before entering the distribution network, they aren't going to get cars out to dealers by 26th July.

Ah when I say day of delivery, I mean the day it was due at the dealers. Phone me this morning to say it hadn't arrived and was now due 4th August. So now go to sort out the insurance again (incurring a cost) as well as the delivery coming just before we are supposed to be going away in the car.

And now been told today delayed again for another week and now 11th. It is in the country just a transporter problem apparently

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links