Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My first e12 1.6 T3 corolla i have questions

Shaneo91

Alri lads i got a 2005 corolla t3 now im new to it and have questions 

1.is there a DTE display 

2.what is the small screen under the radio for 

3. How do the heated mirrors work 

4. Should the accelerator be so easy to press

5.is there any way to get a DTE guage aftermarket maybe

6.any problems i should look for 

If you have any advice on absolutely anything its helpful and much appreciated :)

Hello - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

The heated door mirrors operate at the same time as the heated rear window - just press the HRW button.

Often wonder where all the totota owners manual go to  - almost like the X files !:laugh:

Expect Toyota UK will supply for a charge though you can get a USA version for free, not quiet the same, but generally similar.

http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/toyota/toyota-corolla-owners-manuals

1.  Yes there is a low tank light on the dash, typically about 5 - 8 ltrs left.

Also there is a mpg/mpl/ave/ display on the Toyota radio, though never found it that accurate.

Plus you have the odo , trip counter, like the radio mpg,  just reset when you fill up

2.  there are two small screens under the radio, one is the clock, the other is the heater control displays ( if you have the digital console )

3. if they still work, you either press the centre button that controls their position or they come on with the rear screen heater, cannot remember which.

However, if the heater mirror glasses  are broken, ( like mine were)  they are often fitted with just plain glasses, as the heater add a lot to the price.

4. Its fly by wire, so no heavy cable to push,.

5. as in 1 , so nothing more needed

6. Ensure is regularly serviced and the oil /water levels checked  in between services.

7. A copy of the Haynes Service manual details all basic servicing  and more, a good buy.

Are the 1.6's really fly by wire? My other car, Corolla T Sport 1.8 is mechanical wire. I know it's built off the 1ZZ engine (T sport has a 2ZZ engine) which cable cable but I always thought the other petrol models were the same!

Not entirely sure of the 1.6's but i know the 1.8's are prone to a failing water pump. Then again the engine is more performance orientated and revs to 8200rpm! I'd also double check the heating as early Corollas are prone to having the heater matrix either block or just give up (for some reason). You either get no heat at all, or a mild hint of it once the engine has heated up. 

2 hours ago, lilpopjim said:

Are the 1.6's really fly by wire? . 

Was a surprsie to me when I could not find the throttle cable on the 1.6 , but quiet reasonable when everything else is electronic.

To be sure on your ( shane) model just take a torch and look under the dash.

Think you have to say the high reving 1.8 is a different beast to the smaller engines, though like most cars, the water pumps can be an early failure, though not read about it being a notable problem on the 1.4 or 1.6 Corollas

The heater matrix does seem a potential problem, partic the 2002/3 models, is that just age ?  though I suspect it may be compounded by not using distilled water or the same toyota antifreeze  etc.

Long term, probably the clutch is the weakest point, rides high and heavyish and  can judder at pulloff  partic when hot

All that said I'm on 90K  and other than bog standard service items the only problem was early signs of clutch slip and judder which replacement cured.

The 1.8 is a different beast! As far as i can tell the water pumps fail on the 1.8's purely because they rev so high all the time. It is fun hitting 'lift' though. Can't help it!

It could be age affecting the matrixes. If i recall correctly; they were fixed in 2004/5 onwards. I know they were fixed for the facelift.. Not entirely sure what was wrong with them but for some reason they jus seemed to stop working! Both aluminium pipes inside the car are boiling hot; you can't touch them. However i only get a small amount of heat! Flushed it many many times but nothing..

Talking about clutches.. the 1.8's suffer from a squeaky clutch sometimes so the other cars may (not sure if they have the same 6 speed C64 gearbox). I believe its caused by the slave cylinder. Rubber can deteriorate causing water to seep in which makes it squeak. Nothing to worry about though, really. More than annoyance than anything.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links