Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

gearbox

daz47

hi ever one newbie here . got a question about my avensis its on a W reg 2000 1.8 gs hatch and having trouble with me gear box goes into every gear fine clutch is fine thrush bearing is fine

the trouble I am having is that it sort off whines when the car is moving got oil in the box checked . can anyone help please . Any information is most great full . And one more thing is this a

common problem on these cars not had this car long as I got it off Ebay  don't want to get rid off car as its Very nice to drive Can anyone help please ??????????????

Is it the same whine in all gears? Any noise in neutral or clutch dipped whilst moving? I take it there's no noise whilst stationary? 

same in all gears no noise in neutral only when car is in gear when moving when not moving all is fine ??

It sounds like the transmission bearings are worn. I had to have my gearbox rebuilt, a couple of years ago. The way to test this is go to a quiet road, then at a speed high enough for the whine to be heard, lift off the throttle. If the whine sound decreases then it is the transmission. If the sound is the same, then it could be a wheel bearing or an old tyre, if not changed in a long time. If whilst coasting the clutch is pressed, if the noise decreases then it is transmission bearing.

It is easier and cheaper to fix a tyre or wheel bearing than the transmission.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links