Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driven Gen4 Prius today

Devon Aygo

Traveled up to Milton Keynes Yesterday on had training on Gen4 Prius today including a driving event & have to say i was well impressed the car is a significant step on from Gen3 which never really "did it " for me, please fell free to ask any questions and i will endeavour to answer  

• Like 3

Hi Lee,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions on the Gen 4. I am thinking of upgrading to one myself and have been looking at all the youtube videos from the States, and one thing mentioned is the significant noise reduction, is this true ? and is the handling noticibly better?Also is the interior really more upmarket. I am particulary drawn to the Hypersonic Red colour, which colours did you see and which did you prefer ?

Sorry so many questions but overall the Gen 4 seems to be a major improvement

Thanks,

Dave.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, diverdave said:

Hi Lee,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions on the Gen 4. I am thinking of upgrading to one myself and have been looking at all the youtube videos from the States, and one thing mentioned is the significant noise reduction, is this true ? and is the handling noticibly better?Also is the interior really more upmarket. I am particulary drawn to the Hypersonic Red colour, which colours did you see and which did you prefer ?

Sorry so many questions but overall the Gen 4 seems to be a major improvement

Thanks,

Dave.

No problems.

1. Noise, yes the Gen 4 is much quieter then the Gen 3, it is apparent that the step in interior quality includes a lot more cabin sound proofing also the new TNGA ( Toyota New Global Architecture ) platform cuts the NVH ( noise, vibration, harshness ) being transmitted into the cabin. The engine/transmission is also much quieter it no longer revs up as high or as hard as the Gen3 and road noise on the 17" wheels is lower than Gen3 ( not driven a Gen4 on 15" so cant say how it will fare )

2. Handling, yes the new TNGA platform is far stiffer the that on the Gen 3 it has a lower the centre of gravity, improved double wishbone rear suspension etc, it just feels so much more composed, smoother but at the same time with more feel through the steering its sharper, less prone to under steer and even dare to say it more fun.

3. Interior, I personally think this is the single biggest improvement over Gen3 it no longer looks and feels like a cheap car inside ( can't comment on Active trim which doesn't get all the trimmings and soft touch that the other trims do )  the plastics are solid, with a nice tactile feel it feels premium.

4 Colours, Personally i am split between the Galactic Blue and Hypersonic Red, I saw all of the colours but would be happy with either the red or Blue with the Black gloss wheel inserts on the 17" alloys

• Like 2

Thanks for that, I have tried to talk to  a salesman about the possibility of ordering one three times now here at Snows Hedge End in Southampton but they don't seem to want to sell one yet, once I waited 15 mins to talk to someone but the man I was meant to talk to was "busy" so I left, maybe I should try another dealership. :(

Have you tried both Snows?  (Hedge End and Millbrook)?

Can you get over to Bournemouth or Sallisbury (Westovers)?

FWIW When I bought my gen3 Prius back in 2009 Snows (Kings back then) were the only dealer who were interested in selling me one.

I havn't tried any other dealerships yet as Hedge End is the closest. I had the same experience as you when I bought my Gen 3 from Hedge End three years ago couldn't do enough, how things seem to have changed. I might take your advice and try the Millbrook one.

Local dealer told me yesterday they should have a Gen 4 in the showroom in about two weeks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

No problems.

1. Noise, yes the Gen 4 is much quieter then the Gen 3, it is apparent that the step in interior quality includes a lot more cabin sound proofing also the new TNGA ( Toyota New Global Architecture ) platform cuts the NVH ( noise, vibration, harshness ) being transmitted into the cabin. The engine/transmission is also much quieter it no longer revs up as high or as hard as the Gen3 and road noise on the 17" wheels is lower than Gen3 ( not driven a Gen4 on 15" so cant say how it will fare )

2. Handling, yes the new TNGA platform is far stiffer the that on the Gen 3 it has a lower the centre of gravity, improved double wishbone rear suspension etc, it just feels so much more composed, smoother but at the same time with more feel through the steering its sharper, less prone to under steer and even dare to say it more fun.

3. Interior, I personally think this is the single biggest improvement over Gen3 it no longer looks and feels like a cheap car inside ( can't comment on Active trim which doesn't get all the trimmings and soft touch that the other trims do )  the plastics are solid, with a nice tactile feel it feels premium.

4 Colours, Personally i am split between the Galactic Blue and Hypersonic Red, I saw all of the colours but would be happy with either the red or Blue with the Black gloss wheel inserts on the 17" alloys

Hi Lee

Very interesting - I'm really waiting to get my hands on a demo - my biggest worry from the pictures is the low rear roof line - did you try out the back?

It will be a show stopper for me if they've killed rear usability like the 2012 onward Yaris - on that I struggle to bend enough to get in the back (being fat,basically), and have my head tilted at 45 degrees inside due to lack of headroom - and I'm only 5'10"!

Honda Insight has same issue.

1 hour ago, Chris Dance said:

Local dealer told me yesterday they should have a Gen 4 in the showroom in about two weeks.

Just spoke to Snows in Millbrook Southampton, The configuration that I want for an Excel has a delivery time of July. :ohmy:

• Like 1

On 18/02/2016 at 6:25 AM, diverdave said:

Thanks for that, I have tried to talk to  a salesman about the possibility of ordering one three times now here at Snows Hedge End in Southampton but they don't seem to want to sell one yet, once I waited 15 mins to talk to someone but the man I was meant to talk to was "busy" so I left, maybe I should try another dealership. :(

On 18/02/2016 at 8:57 AM, diverdave said:

I havn't tried any other dealerships yet as Hedge End is the closest. I had the same experience as you when I bought my Gen 3 from Hedge End three years ago couldn't do enough, how things seem to have changed. I might take your advice and try the Millbrook one.

I endorse the above comments.  Things have changed at Snows Hedge End since I bought my Gen 3.  However, an initial contact with WKB Toyota at Waterlooville resulted in a more positive response.

Hello Devon Aygo

Just out of interest, did any version you looked at have privacy glass? I can't see any mention of it on website configurator. I do like it on my Auris Hybrid.

Alas, my dealer doesn't have any information on the new Prius and are unable to take my order. They took my telephone number and said they would be in contact as soon as they do. Thanks to this thread, I was hoping for delivery in March, looks like it is more likely midsummer.

I know what I want already :rolleyes:

prius1.pdf

prius2.pdf

According to the Toyota UK Blog on January 12th 2016  http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-prius-prices-and-specifications#comments

"there are no plans to introduce privacy glass as either a standard feature or optional extra at this time. We have been advised that this decision was taken due to customer feedback"

I am pleased about this as there is no way I would buy any car with privacy glass i.e. darkened windows.  

Some people like privacy glass but I associate these darkened windows with boy racers and those who have something to hide i.e. criminals and dealers in illegal substances!    However by this comment, I mean no offence to anyone on this forum who may have privacy glass on their Toyota.

The new Prius configurator seems to be inconsistent  with the specifications  described  in the Toyota GB blog and those given in  the February Toyota price list. For example,  The Excel version is described as having Satnav, front and rear parking kit as standard. However, the configurator shows both these as chargeable extras.

Also, does anyone know why TGB haven't yet managed to produce a proper sales brochure. The  specs have been available for at least a couple of months, but still there is only a brief woolly sales blurb available. On past performance, I assume incompetence. Or is there an ulterior motive?

I am still amazed that to get 15 inch wheels on the Excel, I have to accept the cheap wheels with plastic covers. Otherwise,  I lose nearly 10 mpg and the Congestion charge exemption. 

The last information i saw from Toyota said that the Prius would be available at dealers in February with  customer deliveries in March, but my local dealer does not know when they will be getting their demonstrator. Another dealer i tried suggests that theirs is due on March 4th, but didn't sound too confident.

14 minutes ago, Ancient Nerd said:

...I am still amazed that to get 15 inch wheels on the Excel, I have to accept the cheap wheels with plastic covers. Otherwise,  I lose nearly 10 mpg and the Congestion charge exemption...

and if it's a company car you pay more tax too (13% instead of 9% IIRC)

Personally, I like the wheel & trims - at least if you ding one it's 'only' £30 or so for a new trim.

1 hour ago, MichaelM said:

...I am pleased about this as there is no way I would buy any car with privacy glass i.e. darkened windows...

I'm with you.

Not only do I not want it myself, I find other cars a nuisance with it when I'm trying to back out of an oblique parking space and not able to see oncoming traffic. (bad enough when you've a van parked next to you!)

56 minutes ago, Ancient Nerd said:

The new Prius configurator seems to be inconsistent  with the specifications  described  in the Toyota GB blog and those given in  the February Toyota price list. For example,  The Excel version is described as having Satnav, front and rear parking kit as standard. However, the configurator shows both these as chargeable extras.

Also, does anyone know why TGB haven't yet managed to produce a proper sales brochure. The  specs have been available for at least a couple of months, but still there is only a brief woolly sales blurb available. On past performance, I assume incompetence. Or is there an ulterior motive?

I agree that the Prius configurator seems to have some bugs in it.  In places it allows you to add an option to a vehicle that already has the item as standard.

All the marketing for the new Prius is in full swing with good reviews appearing in the motoring journals as well as national and local newspapers but there is no sign of a brochure

or the possibility of potential buyers actually seeing a car.  Have Toyota UK have got themselves organised?

5 hours ago, PeteB said:

and if it's a company car you pay more tax too (13% instead of 9% IIRC)

Personally, I like the wheel & trims - at least if you ding one it's 'only' £30 or so for a new trim.

Do the 15" wheels definitely have wheel trims or are they just alloys

I went to my Toyota dealer today and they have a demonstrator arriving early March (Business Plus edition) so I'm going to have a drive to see if it's as quiet as it's cracked up to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kithmo said:

Do the 15" wheels definitely have wheel trims or are they just alloys ? 

I believe I read somehwere they are alloys with plastic wheel trims to aid aerodynamics - same as Gen 3 with 15"

Snows Hedge End just phoned me this morning saying they have just got a Gen 4 in the showroom, not a demonstrator but said I could drive it around the block. I will post my findings later. :biggrin:

I'm sitting in one now! Can't drive, 12v Battery removed. 

Mostly good but rear headroom very poor and I'm only 5'10"!

I'm afraid I think they've killed it's use for taxi work. 

A pity. If it is no good for taxi use, then residuals will be much worse than they were for Gen 2 and Gen 3.

[edit] just checked the Toyota  website. Still no brochure!

Edited by Ancient Nerd

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

Mostly good but rear headroom very poor and I'm only 5'10"!

One of the downsides of relocating the Battery to under the rear seat...

6 hours ago, CPN said:

One of the downsides of relocating the battery to under the rear seat...

I think it's more to do with the sloping roofline - I was worried about this from the pictures, and the fact that in some of the press release blurb Toyota said they'd moved the apex of the roof further forward to aid aerodynamics.  The seat didn't feel too high at all.

The Honda Insight Hybrid (which I understand they've stopped selling in the UK) has the same issue but even worse - I find it hard to even get in the door!

Now in fairness, I should admit that my body shape doesn't help here (long body/short legs, plus a fair bit of padding) and my salesman is slightly taller and was just touching the roof.  

• Like 1