Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T27 standard radio W53828 to Touch & Go 59006 installation guide

alphamusic

I have a 2010 T27 Avensis with the standard W53828 and bluetooth hands free. The radio is a bit lacking with no support for A2DP audio streaming and I wanted to install a Touch & Go 59006 from 2012. The Touch & Go was without navigation, so I guess it's just called a Touch, but I will use the Touch & Go name in this guide. I was able to get the audio and bluetooth input working straight away with the standard Toyota ISO connectors, but the 8 pin connector used by the hands free microphone and the 20 pin connector weren't supported by the Touch & Go. The Touch & Go replaced these with a single 28 pin connector. I found this great guide by The Duffer: 

Unfortunately the B9012 pinout is quite different on the Touch & Go, so I had to keep searching for pinouts.

Thanks to Manicat I found a pinout for the W53828 because the pictures weren't working any more in The Duffer's post

http://www.avensis-forum.de/board965-avensis-drumherum-t22-t25-und-t27/board5-audio-navigation-telekommunikation/8770-avensis-t27-standard-audio-system-ein-upgrade-auf-7-navigationssystem/

I then found the pinout for the 59006 in JesseFDB and Keefer's posts on the GT86 owners forum:

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/touch-and-go-differences-wiring_topic3048.html

Fortunately I had already bought this cable to enable a reversing camera, and extra video channel so I had the 28 Pin ISO connector which is required to complete this project:

http://car-solutions.com/en/video-cable-for-toyota-touch-scion-bespoke-subaru-monitors.php

I've seen these 28 pin connectors for sale on Alibaba, but only in large quantities. If someone else knows another source please post here to help anyone who wants to complete this project on a budget. Of course if you get your Touch and Go from a salvage car, try to cut out the wiring harnesses that are attached to it and then you will have the donor connector. 

To get hands free microphone working I cut off the 8 pin connector (this may be more easy to find then the 20 and 28 pin ISO if you prefer not to cut) and put on bullet style connectors. I then made the following connections:

Old 8 Pin New 28 pin connector
black pin 3 MACC mic power pin 4
white pin 2 MIN+ pin 5
pin 1 darker Blue SNS Mic pin 6
purple (some sources green) pin 6 SGND pin 18
red pin 5 MIN- pin 19

To get steering wheel controls working I made these connections:

Old 20 pin New 28 pin connector
pin 7 pink sw1 (some sources purple) pin 21
pin 8 light blue sw2 pin 22
pin 6 purple swg (some sources violet) pin 23

I still need to figure out which connectors are for dimming (brightness/ headlights) and which are giving OBD like information for the trip information. Maybe there is another connector that uses CAN Bus or similar that isn't supported in my pre-facelift 2010 T27 Avensis. 

My pinout on the old 20 pin connector looked different (see attachment) to the Manicat post so I am hopeful that the required connectors are there and I just need to keep searching for a better pin out. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share. 

I'm definitely happy with the upgrade, and hope this helps others. I'm curious if this would also work for the Touch & Go 2. It uses the same 28 pin connector, and I thought I read it is a straight swap so this guide may be applicable to Touch & Go 2. Any input on this would also be appreciated. 

20160217_165415.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Aron,

I too was disappointed by the lack of A2DP playback and no USB. I decided to go the adapter route, for cost reasons. You probably have seen my posts: 

Have you seen this post regarding audio upgrade? - 

Some of the photos have dropped of from older posts. I wonder if they have been archived when the site was upgraded?

I Googled for the pinouts then clicked on images which showed diagrams. This may help.

• Like 1

Hi Konrad, I wish I'd seen your USB upgrade because you have the clearest dash disassembly pictures I've seen. When I took out my radio I didn't understand that the top vent should be pulled straight out towards you. I thought it would need to be pulled upwards. I had seen the other post but didn't get much help from it so I hope my post can give a clear outline of what needs to be done if you want to upgrade an older T27 to the Touch radio. I'll post a link to my instructions there. 

Today I noticed the brightness does adjust, the only problem is I'm required to have headlights on during the day, so I still need to manually change the brightness. 

I purposely left the speed cable unplugged because my video ISO connector has an override to let the Aux video work in motion. If I connect the speed cable, I wonder if the trip information would work. I'm guessing it probably requires more data, but I will need to test it out when my USB cable and reverse camera comes. 

Upgrading to the 59006 Touch radio is getting quite affordable on eBay if you don't require the Nav unit. I haven't heard anything good about the first generation Touch navigation so I don't think I'll waste my money. 

• Like 1

Hi, i hope someone can help me, i am trying to change my W53828 head unit for a TNS510, when i connected all the plugs, i have one left with no socket on the TNS510. when i try to use the phone it says "no service available" and the steering wheel controls dont work for the phone.

i see some people have changed from W53828 to other units with some wiring issues, could anyone help me please.

the car is an 09 avensis TR.

Hi Aron,

There are lots of options upgrade the audio facilities for this car. When I bought the car, I was prepared to add the USB adapter and the LA Power version with bluetooth was a bonus. I looked at most of them and the price varied from cheap to very expensive. Upgrading the audio unit was a possibility, and cables from Autoleads and Connects2 fitting is not difficult. Autoleads sell face plates so you can have any stereo single or double din.

Here are my reference sites:

http://www.autoleads.co.uk/ 

http://www.connects2.co.uk/

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/

Yes I researched before making my choice. Your choice is good too.

Let us know of the progress and the final result.

Konrad 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kiers said:

Hi, i hope someone can help me, i am trying to change my W53828 head unit for a TNS510, when i connected all the plugs, i have one left with no socket on the TNS510. when i try to use the phone it says "no service available" and the steering wheel controls dont work for the phone.

i see some people have changed from W53828 to other units with some wiring issues, could anyone help me please.

the car is an 09 avensis TR.

I found a pinout of the 20 pin connector on the TNS510 for you:

http://www.toyota-forum.de/threads/tns510-und-multifunktionslenkrad-frage-zur-steckerbelegung.164574/

Unbenannt.JPG

Here is the pinout for the 20 pin connector on the W53828 and the 8 pin connector which I assume is your extra connector.
1 – Empty
2 – Empty
3 – Yellow (SPD / SNS)
4 – Empty (MIN+)
5 – Empty (MACC)
6 – Violet (SWG)
7 – Purple (SW1)
8 – Light blue (SW2)
9 – Empty
10 – Empty
11 – Empty 
12 – Empty
13 – Empty (MIN-)
14 – Empty (SGND)
15 – Red (AR1)
16 – White (ASGN)
17 – Black (AL1)
18 – Brown (AGND)
19 – Dark blue (AUX1)
20 – Empty

Next, the 8-pin  has the following pin-out:
1 – Blue (SPD / SNS)
2 – White (MIN+)
3 – Black (MACC)
4 – Empty
5 – Red (MIN-)
6 – Green (SGND)
7 – Empty
8 – Empty

You need to move;

pin 1 from the 8 pin to pin 3 of the 20 pin connector

pin 2 from the 8 pin to pin 4 of the 20 pin connector

pin 3 from the 8 pin to pin 5 of the 20 pin connector

pin 5 from the 8 pin to pin 13 of the 20 pin connector

pin 6 from the 8 pin to pin 14 of the 20 pin connector

The steering wheel controls seem to have the same pinout. Are the volume controls working, but not the phone controls? Hopefully the problem is caused by the microphone signal not being detected. I'd recommend using bullet style connectors to test things out in case you get anything reversed. I hope this helps!

6 hours ago, alphamusic said:

I purposely left the speed cable unplugged because my video ISO connector has an override to let the Aux video work in motion. If I connect the speed cable, I wonder if the trip information would work. I'm guessing it probably requires more data, but I will need to test it out when my USB cable and reverse camera comes.

I've found another pinout at the site in my last post for the 28 pin touch and go connector. It shows two CAN connections (H and L). 

Unbenannt1.JPG

Hopefully I can pull these signals off the OBD port pin 6 and 14. Looks like another task for when all the parts arrive for the next stage of the project.

xobdii_port1070929671.jpg.pagespeed.ic.G

• Like 2

Yes the volume controls are working fine but the phone controls are not,

I will give this a go tomorrow,

thanks very much for the help.

13 minutes ago, The Duffer said:

I have reinserted the pictures into my post;

Regards,

The Duffer

Thanks! Your guide is what got me thinking about retrofitting a Touch radio. It was very helpful

• Like 1

I couldn't find any information about the TMS510. You mentioned TNS510 in your original post. If the volume controls are working, then I think there is a good chance the pinout is the same. 

Good luck! I'm curious how it goes. I'd recommend using the bullet connectors, and then if it doesn't work, it's easy to change, or put the harness back the way it was before.

No joy, Everything works apart from the Phone, when i hit TEL i get the error "no service available" and the steering controls for the phone dont do anything.

bluetooth is working as i can play music from my phone.

Starting to pull my hair out now!!!

My 20 pin is as follows.

1.   Empty
2.   Empty
3.   Yellow
4.   Empty
5.   Empty
6.   Purple
7.   Pink
8.   Light Blue
9.   Empty
10. Empty
11. White & Black
12. Empty
13. Empty
14. Empty
15. Red
16. White
17. Black
18. Orange
19. Dark Blue
20. Empty

and the 8 pin is

1. Blue
2. White
3. Black
4. Empty
5. Red
6. Purple
7. Empty
8. Empty

W53828

TNS510

wJ2v1fp.jpg

How did you connect the empty pins of your 20 pin connector? If you can find an aftermarket 20 pin adaptor that has all the pins wired, then you will have a much more reliable connection. 

Maybe it's another issue. Is your phone listed as both a media device and a phone in the bluetooth menu? Does the Nav have speech recognition? If so can you check if the mic is working with the navigation side of things?

My phone worked and didn't have the no service available error even when there was no mic connected and no steering wheel controls. I could hear the other end, but obviously they couldn't here me, so if the TNS510 is anything like the touch, I wonder if it's something about how the phone is connected with bluetooth. I'd try disconnecting the phone and repairing. I'd also try another phone.

a bit to think about there, i'll try some of these over the weekend and get back to you.

thanks again, here's hoping.

I thought I'd put some closure on the above question regarding the TNS510. The pinout I gave Kiers works if anyone else is trying to replace a w53828 with a TNS510

• 1 year later...

hi.Thank you for your effort. Do you make Obd connections and see the fuel consumption data on the screen?

Hi TRAvensisember, I did try the 2 OBD pins I thought would provide the data, but it did not enable the fuel consumption data. I still think there is a chance it could work if I played around a bit more, but I've lost my motivation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2017 at 9:40 AM, alphamusic said:

Hi TRAvensisember, I did try the 2 OBD pins I thought would provide the data, but it did not enable the fuel consumption data. I still think there is a chance it could work if I played around a bit more, but I've lost my motivation.

thanks for the answer. I will do what you want to do. Parts and original back view camera ready. A few responsibilities will be cheerful ... which pin to which pin to connect the night-mode screen and where to connect? Do you know where the original camera pins are going to be put? ... finally I am sending you the schematic of the vehicle obd port. Cables (6 and 14) to be connected to the specified 2 pins. The ending is my joy. Thank you.

You are very kind.

IMG-20170807-WA0006.jpeg

Also tie the speed sensor of the car. The speed sensor cable comes from one of the old tacky sockets.

Hi TRAvensisember, what was the original radio in your car and what are you upgrading too? Is it the w3828 to 59006 just like me, or are you trying a TNS510 like Kiers? Or something newer? The reason I'm asking is the pin out is different depending on which radios you are using and I don't want to give bad advice :) 

Did you buy the reverse camera kit from Toyota? I haven't tried that, I used a cheap aftermarket camera. 

Pins 6 and 14 on the OBD port are the ones I tried.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, alphamusic said:

Hi TRAvensisember, what was the original radio in your car and what are you upgrading too? Is it the w3828 to 59006 just like me, or are you trying a TNS510 like Kiers? Or something newer? The reason I'm asking is the pin out is different depending on which radios you are using and I don't want to give bad advice :) 

Did you buy the reverse camera kit from Toyota? I haven't tried that, I used a cheap aftermarket camera. 

Pins 6 and 14 on the OBD port are the ones I tried.

Old: W53828, I want to wear 59006. Obd would you try changing the cable locations and attaching the speed sensor cable? I have the original rear view camera Toyota 4-pin. You have usb with this cigarette, have you found a socket etc for it?

Hi TRAvensisember, If you follow my instructions in the first post, then you will get speed through. It is pin 1 on the old 8 pin connector. If you have the original camera it should plug right in. I put USB in my glovebox, I didn't have a cut out for it in my 2010 Avensis. I'm not sure what location I would change the OBD too. Try pin 6 and 14 first.