Do Not Sell My Personal Information

yaris speaker upgrade help!

Mxcy

so i just bought a 2004 yaris, t2 vvti, and it already has a phillips headunit installed (after market) which has usb, aux, and the car should have 4 Speakers, 2 in dash, and 1 in each door card, however, only the 2 in dash are working, i did some research and the 3d yaris only comes with the 2 in dash, but still with the cutout in door (grill), im hoping to install some new Speakers in each door, as there is nothing there, and im wondeing these questions:

a) how do i remove the door card (wind up windows)

b)is it correct that the speaker must be 6.5" or smaller

c)how would i go about adding a speaker, as im presuming their is no wiring in the door what so ever.

d) would i need an amp for some high powered bass heavy Speakers such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0LZHYS/?tag=autostereo-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0NJPS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000P0NJPS&linkCode=as2&tag=car0cc-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J1FABY/?tag=autostereo-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000230LC2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000230LC2&linkCode=as2&tag=car0cc-20&linkId=EXBEN5RLVNA5ZIXV

thanks so much guys!

• 2 months later...

I'd be inclined to use an amplifier with the Polk audio but realistically any of them will be fine on the head unit output. The boss and Pyle Speakers are very poor compared to the others you have selected.

You will always struggle to get proper bass from these type of Speakers, best to get a subwoofer and amplifier, and let the small Speakers do what they do best, the mid/high range notes

Sent from the moon using telepathy

What he says really ^^^

You don't say what shortcomings you feel the current setup has - audio is very personal, especially in a small car where the background noise levels are quite intrusive (unless you spend a lot of time listening while parked).

Getting wiring into doors can be a pain and usually the mounting arrangements for the Speakers don't allow a good seal round the rim to provide a good baffle (which you need for a reasonable bass). So if bass is your bugbear fitting door Speakers may not help much without a lot of extra work.

On our somewhat newer Yaris and an Aygo I had a couple of years back I fitted decent (Pioneer) active subwoofer under the driver's seat. This gives the sound the body it's lacking, though the sound from the stock Speakers still isn't great, but even fitting that isn't a trivial task as you have to find a high current feed for the unit - tapping into the normal headunit feed will usually produce a poor result ... unless you keep the volume very low :dry:

1 hour ago, MikeSh said:

What he says really ^^^

You don't say what shortcomings you feel the current setup has - audio is very personal, especially in a small car where the background noise levels are quite intrusive (unless you spend a lot of time listening while parked).

Getting wiring into doors can be a pain and usually the mounting arrangements for the speakers don't allow a good seal round the rim to provide a good baffle (which you need for a reasonable bass). So if bass is your bugbear fitting door speakers may not help much without a lot of extra work.

On our somewhat newer Yaris and an Aygo I had a couple of years back I fitted decent (Pioneer) active subwoofer under the driver's seat. This gives the sound the body it's lacking, though the sound from the stock speakers still isn't great, but even fitting that isn't a trivial task as you have to find a high current feed for the unit - tapping into the normal headunit feed will usually produce a poor result ... unless you keep the volume very low :dry:

thanks for reply's, seems like its a bigger task than taking the door card off and running a wire into the back of the radio haha, maybe its best not to bother, the Speakers i have are 2 tiny like 2" all round Speakers in dash, they are rubbish is why i wanted an upgrade!

would it be that hard to wire the Speakers up to an amp, or is it fairly easy?

new to this thing, thanks alot

Providing you can do decent wire connections the physical wiring isn't hard.

Finding out which wires go where can be interesting.

As mentioned above, finding a suitable 12V supply for an amp can be interesting.

As with almost any job like this you will find that to get the access to do the work and run the wires from A to B & C you have to remove almost every piece of trim inside the car and half the dashboard :blink: . (And when you've got it all back together you'll have created an annoying creak or rattle somewhere :angry: )

That is probably the bleakest picture - it might not be that hard, but I always begin a job like this first thing in the morning on the assumption it'll take all day. If you haven't any experience of getting trim out of cars then be prepared to break a few mounting tabs in the process.