Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brand new belt is still squealing

Melissa1988

Hi just wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions as to what this is? I have a yaris vvti 1.0, without air con, my drive belt was squealing ( altenator, powersteering belt) it got worse over the weeks and eventually snapped. I had a new one fitted by a mechanic and a week later it started squeeling again mainly when i start up and when i go around corners and its mainly in morning or late at night. Never during the day. Can anyone help please 

It'll probably be worse when you're using lots of electrics ie lights, window demister etc.  I'm not sure whether the adjuster is automatic or not but it sounds like it's either the not adjusted correctly or maybe the wrong belt fitted.

Hi, as Alan has said, it has probably just bedded in and requires readjusting.

If it still squeaks after that are you sure it's the belt and not something it drives (Spins?)

Mike.

Thanks for your replies, iv just read that it dosent have an automatic adjuster so ill try taking back to garage to see if they can adjust it. Could it be a faulty altornater? Would that squeel its like fingernails down a blackboard and very loud it only lasts 2 seconds but thats how it first started before it snapped

The squeal is the sound of the belt slipping around one (or more) of the pulleys.  This is usually due to the belt not being tight enough, but could also be one of the pulleys being too stiff for it to turn.  Yes it could be your alternator, but they usually just stop charging, rather than going too stiff for the belt to turn.  Have your mechanic look at it again, he should be able to tell within a few seconds.  

There was an issue with some engine variants drive belts ( ours is a 1.3) which required a modified belt. We had exactly the same problems as you described which were cured instantly by the modified genuine Toyota belt