Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D Strange Coolant

DG2.2

Hi All 

Bit of a strange one here, I took my car to an authorized Toyota dealer and said that Id been losing some coolant and they said it was the dreaded HG, I asked what they did to check it and they were not that forward with explaining how they came to this conclusion .

Im using about 200ml of coolant every two weeks and have small dots that look like coolant on the drive where I park when I check. It has been like this for around 6000 miles. It doesn't overheat - temp needle is always at the same point on the temp gauge, there is NO pressurization on the tank where I fill it up when I take the cap off when its cold or when its warm, NO bubbling when the car is running with the coolant cap off, there is NO white specks on the engine cover , NO leak from the overflow pipe . 

Im no mechanic but am a little concerned at the way the dealer came to this conclusion with out really getting to the bottom of it despite me asking what checks they had done. 

If anyone has any ideas as Im sure we have all read the various posts on the HG but this one is making me scratch my head.

Cheers 

I was one of the first to report HGF on 2.2 ... Had one 7 years ago 2006 reg taxi driver ... Went at 56000 got engine replaced under warranty and it went again at 160k .. I could not afford to replace engine and scrapped the car .. I was blasted on here for saying it's an epedimic .. Which we now know is true .. I think they extended warranty to 100k with HGF .. My first symptoms were barely noticeable .. Just no heat losing water but after time got worse ...every Taximan I know who had a 2.2 had gasket problems .. My honest advice would be .. Trade her in to Toyota dealer move on .. 2.0 great car .. 2.2 made in hell ... Now their will be haters no doubt all over this post but it's the truth ... I do 65000 miles every year .. I experience all sorts of car problems .. I now currently use old PD passats 2005 .. Current one 320000 same engine going good ... They would do pressure test on your avensis and that's how they know .. 

50 minutes ago, irishjay said:

I was one of the first to report HGF on 2.2 ... Had one 7 years ago 2006 reg taxi driver ... Went at 56000 got engine replaced under warranty and it went again at 160k .. I could not afford to replace engine and scrapped the car .. I now currently use old PD passats 2005 ..

So presumably your profile needs changing to show you no longer have the Avensis - please change accordingly.

Toyota covered the head gasket failures on the AD engines under a goodwill arrangement - which was for either 7 years or 111,846 miles, whichever occurs first.

DG2.2, could be water pump. I had the one on my 57 plate 2.2 replaced foc at ~ 5 years & I gathered that it was not uncommon. Symptoms were similar.

Irishjay, the 2.0 1AD also suffers from the same maladies as the 2,2 2AD as they are related designs, but possibly at a lower rate as prevalence possibly seems to increase with power. Overall it seems to be (probably well) under 5% of the engines produced 2005-2009 & Toyota did offer a goodwill  extension to 112k miles/7 years which imo is more than any other volume manufacturer would have.

It's not like BMW/Ford/PSA/Vauxhall/VAG etc. turbodiesels have been paragons  of virtue either

Obviously was a big problem if they extended the warranty in the 2.2 .. Just sharing my own experience of the car and my other taxi driver friends experience .. I love the 2.0 ... 2.2 I wouldn't take for free ..

If it was a big problem there would have been a full recall imo.

They extended exactly the same goodwill for the 2.0 .... the TSB covers both 2.0 & 2.2.

Nobody is arguing that it wasn't enough to be noticeable as a single cause of failure & to evoke a response but the numbers suggest low single digit % (only Toyota know for sure & they are not going to tell).

The OP's car is 10-11 years old & I would suggest that it's at least worth checking to see if the water pump is weeping - my experience suggests to me that prevalence of that is possibly/probably higher than hg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links