Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1993 Toyota Paseo electrical problem

93PaseoOwnerMan

For the past few months I couldn't start the car on the first try... over the past few weeks it was quite predictable: first turn with key = not turn over, second turn with key some turnover, third or fourth turn with key hold as it fires up and starts... Later during the day it started on first try, but after sitting cold overnight it needed more tries (process described above). Also, when I turn the key back one-half or a full turn when it hasn't already started intermittently it sounds like it is trying to start (sounds like something is shorting out). And, intermittently, only once in a while, I heard a buzzing sound behind the dashboard. And, there is a cycling sound up and down with the engine much of the time. Note: A blown head gasket was just fixed in the car after the problem started.

Today it got worse: The power steering went out and the overheat indicator went up and the Battery terminal light went on. I put in power steering fluid and tightened the loose Battery terminal. But the electrical problem is worsened and now the car will not start at all.

What I've already tried: new starter, new ignition switch (a neighborhood "mechanic" charged me for the parts and installed them but these did not solve the problem), spark plugs and spark plug wires replaced recently

It looks like I am going to need to troubleshoot and try new parts myself (and hopefully with the help of you other experienced Paseo owners!) as the neighborhood "mechanic" seems incapable of solving the problem.

Do any of these clues ring a bell? I've got a multimeter just don't know how to troubleshoot. Any idea what I might try next?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links