Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need a reliable School run MPV

ABToyota

I have an Auris for the school runs and around town driving - but need something bigger for the expanding family and school runs and odd trips. Now it needs to be an automatic and I don't mind it being old as it will only do circa 2-3k a year. So Petrol it is. Budget is about £3-4k so what should I be looking at or should I expand the budget? I like the qashqai but not sure if its big enough for 2 full size pushchairs.

The Qashqai isn't an MPV, its a crossover (ie it replaced both the Almera and Primera and 'crossed over' market sectors), so won't have the same space or same flexibility as an MPV.

If you're considering Toyota, then there are the Corolla Verso, Verso, Previa, Estima, Estima Lucida, Alphard, etc (some of which will be imports from Japan).

Do you definitely need an MPV or will an estate suffice - Avensis Tourer?

Otherwise try using the Honest John car chooser and reviews.

• Like 1

Looking for something that is higher up than a normal car and has nice large bootspace - looks don't matter just needs to be reliable and an automatic and I place reliability above all other considerations as I always want a hassle free drive. 

I have friends with nice BMW but they always seem to be in repair. Audis at 60k needing significant repair or Land Rovers that have squeaks. 

I'd be inclined to go for a conventional auto rather than an MMT or similar.

Mazda 5??

You could do a lot worse than a Vauxhall Zafira, the old style. They can seat 7 and the two extra seats in the rear fold up or down very easily. Even the 1.6 automatic is powerful enough for the type of running you have in mind, the older ones had conventional automatic boxes with little trouble. Servicing is easy for DIY and you can get loads of spares for them quite cheaply.   

• 1 month later...

Which years should I be looking for? How reliable are the Vauxhalls?

Wife really wants an auto box - none of these MMT just a bog standard autobox. 

Zafiras have been under scrutiny recently for their ability to spontaneously combust. On the plus side it should bring the price down a bit....

Sent from the moon using telepathy