Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EV Mode: When to use?

Wayne2015

I always try to use EV mode when in traffic and the Battery is 3/4 charged.

And also when waiting to pick up someone.

But this morning just realised something:

1. Was told in EV mode stationery there is no heating (as petrol engine is off). Switched off EV mode this morning Sat in car (Battery 3/4 charged) and heating set to HI ...

...instead of 3/4 Battery lasting about 20mins before engine kicks in - the engine kicks in every 5-10mins such that I could see the MPG dropped by 1mpg each time -week!

2. Using EV mode in traffic also means it depleats the battery to the point during normal driving the engine needs to be on longer ...

So

My thoughts are:

1. Deffo use EV mode when waiting to pick up (but not want heating) :)

2. Not use EV during traffic? Just let car decide?

EV mode if you are going to move the car a short distance.  Stops the ICE coming on and helps prevent the dreaded cold start engine knock problem.

EV mode for creeping up on people in the car park.

Otherwise, let the hybrid do its stuff.

I also use it if I've got a stop in the village (like cash machine) before going further afield, so that the warmup cycle starts when I'm going to be driving continuously.

Also, if taking a series of road humps I'll pop it on so that the ICE doesn't keep firing up just one or two seconds before I'm off-gas again.

5 hours ago, johalareewi said:

EV mode if you are going to move the car a short distance.  Stops the ICE coming on and helps prevent the dreaded cold start engine knock problem.

EV mode for creeping up on people in the car park.

Otherwise, let the hybrid do its stuff.

Never thought of that (preventing ICE starting) - nice one!

Lol - creeping up on people (Boo!) :)

4 hours ago, PeteB said:

I also use it if I've got a stop in the village (like cash machine) before going further afield, so that the warmup cycle starts when I'm going to be driving continuously.

Also, if taking a series of road humps I'll pop it on so that the ICE doesn't keep firing up just one or two seconds before I'm off-gas again.

Interesting

So people do actually think and then decide when to use the EV mode...

I find a simple way to use EV is to use it for the last 1/2mile or more when you`ve be driving, I find it uses the charge in the Battery that has accumulated on the drive.

If the Battery hasn`t enough charge, it wont run EV for long if at all, but if its got plenty of change, I like to use it, not loose charge whilst parked up over night etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, unclepoo said:

I find a simple way to use EV is to use it for the last 1/2mile or more when you`ve be driving, I find it uses the charge in the battery that has accumulated on the drive.

If the battery hasn`t enough charge, it wont run EV for long if at all, but if its got plenty of change, I like to use it, not loose charge whilst parked up over night etc.

Surely this will just result in the ICE running for longer when you restart.

The manual's notes on EV mode sum it up:

"This mode allows you to drive in residential areas early in the
morning and late at night, or in indoor parking lots etc. without
concern for noises and gas emissions.

Fuel economy
Your Toyota is designed to achieve the best possible fuel economy during
normal driving (using the gasoline engine and electric motor [traction motor]).
Driving in EV drive mode more than necessary may lower fuel economy."

18 hours ago, unclepoo said:

...  not loose charge whilst parked up over night  ...

Quite simply, it won't.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cuius said:

Surely this will just result in the ICE running for longer when you restart.

The manual's notes on EV mode sum it up:

"This mode allows you to drive in residential areas early in the
morning and late at night, or in indoor parking lots etc. without
concern for noises and gas emissions.

Fuel economy
Your Toyota is designed to achieve the best possible fuel economy during
normal driving (using the gasoline engine and electric motor [traction motor]).
Driving in EV drive mode more than necessary may lower fuel economy."

Interesting....

On 08/03/2016 at 7:41 PM, unclepoo said:

I find a simple way to use EV is to use it for the last 1/2mile or more when you`ve be driving, I find it uses the charge in the battery that has accumulated on the drive.

If the battery hasn`t enough charge, it wont run EV for long if at all, but if its got plenty of change, I like to use it, not loose charge whilst parked up over night etc.

It won't loose charge over night though, and doing what you do will put more of a strain on the system on cold start up, and will ultimately be impacting MPG. I'd have said doing what you've described will be doing more harm than good to be honest.

• Like 1

IIRC on Auris EV mode is good to 30 MPH. On the Yaris it is only good to 20 MPH before it forces itself out of EV mode and into Eco/Normal mode.

The only advantage I found of EV mode is you can push the accelerator to the 4th tick mark on the ECO band before it also drops out of EV mode and starts the engine.

One thing to consider is the harder you accelerate, you demand higher current for harder acceleration, further reducing Battery life. To maximise range in traffic on Battery only, it pays to accelerate gently, and as the car gains speed, to lift off slightly, to further conserve power.

When the car is cold (literally; not just the engine) EV mode is pretty useless as the Battery really needs to be warm to work optimally. I can hardly get 300 yards before the engine starts due to low battery in this state, even when it shows 6 bars at the start. When it is warmed up, I can get about a mile out of it at 40 MPH.

The optimum way to work with the battery is to use the engine for acceleration, then lift off so it drops into EV mode, otherwise you're using a lot of power just to get moving, reducing rolling time on battery only.

In heavy traffic, if I keep my speed below 20 MPH, accelerate gently, and stop completely when behind traffic (otherwise the car is pulling against the brakes to creep), I can go entire stretches of road on battery only, with capacity to spare. If you need brakes in traffic, stop the car completely to conserve power. Wait until you can move without brakes, even if you don't touch the accelerator.

The heater is evil! If you need heat, I found it best to override AUTO mode and set the blower to forward only, at low fan (one maybe two bars) and 20 C setting. It will run the engine more, but on the Yaris, after around 23 C it will make large demands on the engine for heat. It is amazing how effective this is! If you have the skyview roof, it also helps to close the blind.

Hope this helps! :)

4 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

One thing to consider is the harder you accelerate, you demand higher current for harder acceleration, further reducing battery life.

Not strictly 100% true.  When you demand acceleration, the hybrid system can also direct energy from the ICE via the generator then directly to the electric motor to get lots of torque.

The HV Battery is just there to mop up any surplus electricty or top up any small shortfalls.

otherwise the car is pulling against the brakes to creep

With Toyota hybrids, when you depress the brake pedal, the simulated auto-gearbox creep is switched off.  You can see this on the energy flow display and measure it via the diagnostic port.

14 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

IIRC on Auris EV mode is good to 30 MPH. On the Yaris it is only good to 20 MPH before it forces itself out of EV mode and into Eco/Normal mode.

The only advantage I found of EV mode is you can push the accelerator to the 4th tick mark on the ECO band before it also drops out of EV mode and starts the engine.

One thing to consider is the harder you accelerate, you demand higher current for harder acceleration, further reducing battery life. To maximise range in traffic on battery only, it pays to accelerate gently, and as the car gains speed, to lift off slightly, to further conserve power.

When the car is cold (literally; not just the engine) EV mode is pretty useless as the battery really needs to be warm to work optimally. I can hardly get 300 yards before the engine starts due to low battery in this state, even when it shows 6 bars at the start. When it is warmed up, I can get about a mile out of it at 40 MPH.

The optimum way to work with the battery is to use the engine for acceleration, then lift off so it drops into EV mode, otherwise you're using a lot of power just to get moving, reducing rolling time on battery only.

In heavy traffic, if I keep my speed below 20 MPH, accelerate gently, and stop completely when behind traffic (otherwise the car is pulling against the brakes to creep), I can go entire stretches of road on battery only, with capacity to spare. If you need brakes in traffic, stop the car completely to conserve power. Wait until you can move without brakes, even if you don't touch the accelerator.

The heater is evil! If you need heat, I found it best to override AUTO mode and set the blower to forward only, at low fan (one maybe two bars) and 20 C setting. It will run the engine more, but on the Yaris, after around 23 C it will make large demands on the engine for heat. It is amazing how effective this is! If you have the skyview roof, it also helps to close the blind.

Hope this helps! :)

What is auto EV mode?

I only have auto ECO mode

I need to press the EV button to go into EV mode....

1 minute ago, Wayne2015 said:

What is auto EV mode?

I only have auto ECO mode

I need to press the EV button to go into EV mode....

It's when the car is in EV without it being forced with the EV button. 

25 minutes ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

It's when the car is in EV without it being forced with the EV button. 

Eh?

How do u know it's in auto EV mode?

And it's in EV mode (without pressing EV button)?

Because auto EV is just that, it's when the car decides it's okay to be in EV. Using the button is telling it you want it to be in EV and forcing the matter. 

20 minutes ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

Because auto EV is just that, it's when the car decides it's okay to be in EV. Using the button is telling it you want it to be in EV and forcing the matter. 

So one don't know if it's in EV mode then when it's in auto EV mode???

On the Auris, a small icon of a little green car with EV on it appears when you drop into EV mode by coasting/low revving

23 hours ago, Ref Minor said:

On the Auris, a small icon of a little green car with EV on it appears when you drop into EV mode by coasting/low revving

I don't have that

And I not seen that before

In auto mode I only see ECO mode when coasting/slowing...

22 hours ago, Wayne2015 said:

I don't have that

And I not seen that before

In auto mode I only see ECO mode when coasting/slowing...

The earlier Gen 3 Prius didn't have the little EV indicator either, I think it only came in with the 2012 and later.

johalareewi: I was referring to pure electric mode; the ICE is not running.

Wayne2015: Not sure about the Auris, but on the Yaris you can hide the auto EV indicator by pushing the HR MIN buttons simultaneously whilst it is displayed.

MEP's Yaris GS: thanks for clarifying what I was talking about! :)

12 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

johalareewi: I was referring to pure electric mode; the ICE is not running.

Wayne2015: Not sure about the Auris, but on the Yaris you can hide the auto EV indicator by pushing the HR MIN buttons simultaneously whilst it is displayed.

MEP's Yaris GS: thanks for clarifying what I was talking about! 

Interesting

Mine S 2012 june Auris (I think)

I will try pressing the HRS+MINS then...

Wait - do I press then WHILST driving???? :huh:

No. Just when the auto EV mode symbol is lit. I'm not sure if it works on the Auris or not - there are many small differences. Easiest way is to check the handbook and see if it is mentioned.

Not sure why you'd want to switch it off really. It's hardly distracting, and tells you the state of the vehicle.

• Like 1

I have checked manual

No auto EV mode indicator :(

Manual states I only have :

1. EV mode (via switch)

2. ECO mode (via switch)

3.PWR mode (via switch)

See left side of dash + right side (middle of dash) shows JUST the ECO DIVING INDICATOR LIGHT...

IMG_20160314_224112_zpshttotzoh.jpg

IMG_20160314_224019_zpsprfpbnta.jpg

List of dash lights confirms only :

1. EV mode

2. ECO mode

3. PWR mode

4. ECO driving indicator light

IMG_20160314_224129_zpsnvzw0szc.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links