Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 avensis d4d 2.0 1cd ftv coolant loss until min mark

avensisd4d786

Hi guys. Im have some coolant loss. It seems to go to the min mark and not move from there. There is no visible leaks.

Hi

Mine does the same, 1ZZFE engine. I guess it`s normal for Avensis, because my friends 2.0 petrol did the same thing. Let it be, just don`t let it drop below MIN. The coolant level on my car dropped about half an inch above MIN and has been the same for year now.

Make sure it has the correct ratio of coolant in it, rather than just water.  If it's running a bit hot it might be the water expanding, and coolant take a higher heat before it boils.

Its always been at top level never moved had the since 2012.

Timing and water pump were done 16k ago. Hope its not the pump 

Any white smoke coming from the exhaust,? any obvious leaks coming from any pipework in the engine bay ?any sweet smells emanating from the engine bay or even inside the car (heater matrix).

I had coolant loss on my old Avensis a year and a half back (2014). In my case the plastic part of the radiator had a crack that was hard to see, until it expanded enough to be visible. I was doing something else on my drive and noticed the drip as the car was cooling down. 

I find that coolant level drops are a warning that there is a leak and until the hole is bigger, it is hard to find.  

Hi "I", When I found the leak by accident and repair, this is the only post I could find:

This is for the Mk1 (1997-2002) Avensis, which has an easy and different set-up.  

P1040932.jpg.385c00967bedec9d4863c364373

Hairline crack that was hardly visible.

P1040933.jpg.762ebbeecdd98e0ef5d54937e0aP1040935.jpg.744a058c6a7d1b488de73c6aa98

Removal of the radiator and fans, which have to be swapped over to the new radiator.

P1040934.jpg.6c616ec277d12e5fccd37d1b416P1040944.jpg.e6fd21bb952088bd7990e64dd31

New radiator with the fans installed before replacing back in the car. I did a test fit before full refit.

P1040945.jpg.119f2e8937e6429ce16a8a1ada7

Completed job which included new coolant. I had only changed the coolant weeks earlier, but did not mind putting fresh coolant again. I used premixed blue.

Access was good and so long as your observe where everything is located and take photos, no problems. The job will take about an hour and a half.

Also note that the automatic transmission versions may be different.

Hopefully the Mk2 will be as easy to change.

Konrad

• Like 1

Thanks guys really appreciate it. 

Looks like its my radiator. I have one on order from euro car parts. Hopefully will be fitted on Tuesday. Picture attached of found leak. Its at the top right

20160310_171714.jpg

• 3 months later...

update- no more coolant loss after radiator replacement.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi avensisd4d786, I seem to have the same problem with my Corolla d4d with 1cd-ftv engine. I have coolant stains on the same place - top right of the radiator. 

Could you tell me what kind of radiator did you replace the old one with - was it an OEM or an aftermarket one. I wonder if the aftermarket will fit without any corrections needed especially considering the fans? Did you change the coolant afterwards or just add some new one?

Thanks!

Aftermarket from eurocarparts.com

No modification. Fan assembly screws on. 

You will loose alot of coolant. I think its 7.5 for whole system.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links