Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone recommend a good insurance other than Toyota insurance?

Steady

Recently I had to put my car in for a 3rd party insurance clam and I have been fighting with Toyota insurance ever since. I always wanted the best for my pride and joy so I went with Toyota insurance thinking they would have my best interest at hart. Well how wrong I was.

The background, my car was hit by a flyaway marquee and needed a roof repair, new bonnet and paint on most of the panels. It also needed a new tailgate but they wouldn’t replace this at first.

Anyway, my car has been back to the Toyota body shop 5 times for re-work of many reasons and shoddy repair work. It was inconvenient taking it back time and time but I was with Toyota insurance to I was confident it would get repaired to how it was before the accident.

How wrong I was. In the end I needed to get Toyota insurance involved because I could still see the original repair to the tail gate and many other areas around the car and damaged trim parts where the car had been dismantled. Insurance assessor No:1 had a look over my car and could not see most of the problems and said the repair was ok. Not happy with this they sent an area assessor could see everything I pointed out and more.

Great I thought. He had arranged for my car to have a new tailgate as the original repair was still visible and there where chips in the paint, new trim parts, re-painted some of the doors, bonnet and roof. Anyway, the insurance assessor arranged to be their when I collected the car so I was feeling confident this time. Well I stood looking at the new tailgate and there was bad buffing marks in areas so I sakes if they could polish them out before I left. A token gesture on their part got a some of them out but I could tell that they had been in discussions before my arrival and they where not going to do anymore work if I was happy or not.

To this day, I eventually took the car home only to have to arrange the car to go back in because when it rained the water was going straight into my headlining because someone forgot to re-locate the rubber pipe that channel the tailgate wires so I had a soggy headlining.

Anyway, bottom line is they told me that they are now happy with the repair, well they called it a “industrial repair” and I had no fight left inside me. So of anyone can recommend a good insurance company who are not tied in with Toyota UK and had a repair experience then please let me know.      

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

I've had to format the first post as it was one block of text without any paragraphs and, as a result, extremely difficult to read.

Hello Steady,

We'd be more than happy to provide you with a quotation and I'm sure you are aware that club members can save up to 15% when buying car insurance through us, regardless of whether the car is a modified monster, pure classic or even the family runabout.

To discuss how the club can save you money on your car insurance and a whole range of other products call…

FREEPHONE 0800 5876 317
Please mention 'Toyota Owners Club' when calling.

Kind Regards.

Dan

Hi DAN@

Many thanks for your offer to quote me but would like to hold fire because i'm not looking for the best price. From what I've learnt from Toyota insurance is customer satisfaction is very low.

All I want is an insurance company who can arrange to get my car back to the condition it was before any accident and if there was any issues with any repair work they undertaken then the insurance company would be on my side. I really did think Toyota insurance would have my best interests at heart, but how very wrong I was. 

This is a genuine request as my insurance does run out this month so If anyone has had a similar bad experience from a car repairer and your insurance company have helped to put everything right then please let me know.

This is just a few of the items that I've returned my car for re-work,

Return visit 1: No window washer. I was without washers for about 4 weeks because when Toyota body shop fitted the new bonnet they forgot to connect it up. Chips in the new paintwork. The repair in the tailgate can be seen. The tailgate does not go up on it's own. Can see repairs in the roof.

Visit 2: I looked a little closer as they still hadn't managed to sort out the tailgate, bonnet and other areas and found hand prints in the paint both on the tailgate and bonnet. I'm not talking about a small fingerprint here. Also they had damaged the trim from under the bonnet so they had to order a new part. most of visit 1 still not done. They did manage to get the window washers fixed so this was a relief as I travel up and down motorways to work.  

This goes on to visit 5 as they think their work is satisfactory.

Visit 5: They fitted a new tailgate, at long last, as their repair work could still be seen and the there was a rough paint finish around the windows along with a chip in the paint and they put a blob of paint to fill this up. anyway, still not happy with the work but they told me that they are and I would need to take legal action if I'm not happy.

I had no option but to take the car away and when it rained that night and all the roof lining got soaked I also see dirty hand marks all around they back of my head lining. They did come out the next day to take my car away and repaired the water leak and cleaned up the head lining.

I really hope no one else has to go through what I've been through. It seems no one really cares nowadays.

P1030352.jpg

P1030353.jpg

P1030354.jpg

it seems to me that the bulk of your problems are the bodyshop failing to do an acceptable job. All your insurance company does is pay the bill ...

I don't use Toyota insurance because:

a) their quote was uncompetitive

b ) even if the price was OK they won't cover me changing to my winter wheels (even though they are from another T27 Avensis) & tyres

According to the blurb the bodyshop should be a Toyota bodyshop so you'd expect them to be held to the same standards that Toyota would.

You're right to be ****** - The work sounds really half-assed; The fact that it has resulted in a leak which has damaged the inside of the car is pretty unforgivable.

I think Heid is right that the bodyshop is the problem; Others here have had Toyota do the repairs and they've been to a much higher standard.

I feel the Insurance company should stick up for you better tho'... I'm sure if it was *their* car they'd not like to leave it like that!

The majority of insurance companies would expect the relevant repairer to handle any issues regarding any repair they carry out, and the includes repairers they class as Approved Repairers. 

Hi Cyker, The ironic thing was that the 3rd party wanted to take charge of my body repair for me so I wasn’t inconvenienced, well with the least inconvenience. I insisted I wanted the repair to go through my Toyota insurance and go to a Toyota body shop. Another grip was the fact I needed a large car to carry large items with me, that’s why I have an estate but the manager at Toyota body shop told me I could not get a similar car while mine was under repair. They gave me one of the smallest cars in their range. On about the 4th time my car had to go back I spoke to the centre manager about my car and my experience, he told me that I was entitled to a like for like car while mine was being repaired. Hum. He also said a lot of other things like I could contact him at any but he was always in meetings if I did try and contact him. To be honest this whole experience has damaged my desire to own another Toyota and I had intended to just sell this car on as every time I wash the car my heart sinks. When I open the tailgate I have to manually push it fully open as it makes some strange noises. I know there are a lot of good insurance companies out there who would have stepped in and helped with this repair so I have my fingers crossed I’ll find one.  

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

1 hour ago, Steady said:

Another grip was the fact I needed a large car to carry large items with me, that’s why I have an estate but the manager at Toyota body shop told me I could not get a similar car while mine was under repair. They gave me one of the smallest cars in their range. On about the 4th time my car had to go back I spoke to the centre manager about my car and my experience, he told me that I was entitled to a like for like car while mine was being repaired

As regards the courtesy car, you need to check and go by what your policy covers you for. Most insurance companies will provide a courtesy car whilst yours Is in for repair, but there are a number of factors that affect this including availability - again this will be specified in your policy.

I've looked at the current Toyota Insurance policy online and there is nothing in there that states any courtesy car will be like-for-like, and most insurance companies are the same as regards this benefit.

With some insurance companies one can pay extra for a guaranteed courtesy car, but again, there may be no commitment to providing a like-for-like courtesy car.

It is OK getting someone's opinion (ie the Centre Manager), but ultimately they won't be aware of what your policy provides you with and the information they give you will only be their opinion.

Also be aware your premium or your NCD at renewal may be adversely affected (unless you have a protected or guaranteed NCD) now that you've made a claim.

Hi Frostyballs,

I do Appreciate your comments on this.

But I did find this on the web site where my Toyota had this work carried out;

• Assistance in liaising with your insurance company to process the claim
  • Where necessary, assistance in claiming back from the ‘at fault’ insurance company
  • Use of a group A courtesy car
  • In accepted ‘non fault’ case a like-for-like courtesy car
  • Collection and delivery service
  • Storage service available if your car is unroadworthy or insecure
  • Access to professional legal advice for any uninsured losses or compensation queries

And it was known from the beginning that mine was a non fault claim as it was a flyaway marquee that trashed my car.

That is the repairer, rather than the insurer, and, as that is obviously an extract, are there any qualifying conditions associated with the extract (such as availability)?

The fact remains that I was told I could not have a like for like car from the very beginning.

More to the point is the fact they state they practically bend over backwards for their customers. Well I've not seen and bending in any direction from Toyota insurance or the Toyota body shop. 

Or am I missing something and this is the norm and everyone gets the same service as I received. 

As I said the extract you quoted was from the repairer's website, not the insurer's. As regards the 'bending over backwards' claim, that is the repairer's claim, not the insurer's.

Check your insurance policy as that is your contract with the insurer. I think you may find that they will supply a courtesy car subject to certain conditions, but make no reference to size or it being a like-for-like courtesy car. This is why it is important to know what your car insurance policy offers. For example, I have a guaranteed courtesy car through my insurer, and the policy stipulates that courtesy cars are usually a hatchback below 1200cc. The aim of the insurer is to just keep you mobile in the event of a claim - which something like an Aygo, etc will do. 

In which case, your issue is with the repairer, as it is the repairer that is promising:

• Assistance in liaising with your insurance company to process the claim
  • Where necessary, assistance in claiming back from the ‘at fault’ insurance company
  • Use of a group A courtesy car
  • In accepted ‘non fault’ case a like-for-like courtesy car
  • Collection and delivery service
  • Storage service available if your car is unroadworthy or insecure
  • Access to professional legal advice for any uninsured losses or compensation queries

not the insurer.

This is why I asked whether there were any qualifying conditions that apply to the information you extracted from the repairer's website (eg availability, etc).

As regards the standard of repair and complaining about this, presumably the repairer is a member of a trade body such as VBRA (this should be stated on the repairer's website), so you could look at the process the trade body has in place to raise concerns about members, repairs, etc.

I appreciate you kind explanation regarding a or any courtesy car.

Courtesy car aside, would any insurance company provide a better service in the event of an accident?

How do I insure myself against this type of bad workmanship?

RE: As regards the standard of repair and complaining about this, presumably the repairer is a member of a trade body such as VBRA (this should be stated on the repairer's website), so you could look at the process the trade body has in place to raise concerns about members, repairs, etc.

Have you ever tried to contact such an body. I tried and the information I was given was wrong and I had to contact another part of the body and I had no reply.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

As I said previously, most insurers would require complaints about the quality of repairs to be handled by the repairer. One can complain directly to the insurer, but how fruitful this would be depends on quite a few factors. I once had issues with an Aviva Approved Repairer, and found that the insurer kept handing the matter back to the repairer to resolve. 

If one doesn't get satisfaction from the repairer one can approach whatever trade body the repairer belongs to and follow the prescribed complaints/conciliation/arbitration process. 

If the repairer is a member of VBRA, one can download the VBRA Repairer Code of Practice from the VBRA website - http://www.vbra.co.uk - and it is the Repairer Code of Practice that should be used as a basis on which to form a compliant, and it also details the VBRA conciliation service that customers can use to raise issues.

• 1 month later...

I'm going through a claim with Toyota Insurance now. Customer Service very poor with minimal expectations for the repair.

I won't be using them again or buying another Toyota. Buying a Volkswagen Golf/Honda Civic immediately once claim is resolved and will insure through anybody but Toyota Insurance. They have put me off ever owning another Toyota.

Cooshtii, I feel your pain. 

i've now come away from Toyota insurance and once im ready to change my car I'm sorry to say that after three Toyota's I'll be changing brands.

I really did like the brand and was very pro Toyota  encouraging other members of my family to change also but after my expriance they will also be following my lead. 

I do understand that my issues with the repair work are down to the body shop but after all my visits back to the shop to try and get these resolved I placed my trust in Toyota insurance then in Toyota UK and they are good at lip service but as much use as a  chocolate fire guard. 

I feel very let down by the everyone involved as no matter what I was told it seems everyone had their hands over their eyes and fingers in ears. 

Just to rub salt into my  wounds, since the new tailgate on my estate was fitted it  doesn't go all the way up on its own and I have more then one bump om my head where I've hit it. 

Anyway, shame on you Toyota.

Toyota Motor Insurance isn't provided by Toyota - it is provided by Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance and Toyota Motor Insurance Ltd is a subsidiary of Aioi Nissay Dowa Europe. This will be clearly stated in your insurance policy.

Other motor manufacturers don't provide their own insurance, and, instead, enter into similar arrangements with insurers to offer branded insurance products. For example: Ford Insure is provided by Europa Group Ltd; VW insurance is provided by Allianz Insurance PLC; Vauxhall Insurance is provided by Ageas Insurance Ltd; Nissan insurance is provided by Europe Group Ltd; Honda insurance is provided by Aviva Insurance Ltd; etc, etc, etc.

So if one isn't happy with the service provided by your insurer, put the blame where it lies  - with the insurance company, whoever that may be, and usually that isn't the motor manufacturer.

So probably it should be 'Shame on you, the customer, for not knowing who your insurer is'.

• 5 weeks later...

I am with Toyota insurance. in January, i was hit by a none insured driver. " luckily I was covered by none insured drivers. "

So to cut this story short Toyota insurance sorted my repair to which i was happy about,

HOWEVER because of my location insurance isn't cheap, I'm a male age 55, 15+ NCD, clean driving licence, and drive a 12 plate 1.3 Yaris TR. insurance costs me £350 per year.

as far as I was concerned my claim had been settled and closed, with me NOT AT FAULT. Now my new insurance quote as gone from £350 to £1.540.

on speaking to Toyota insurance, they are telling me, until they recover all their loss's from the uninsured driver, my claim will remain open, and it will show on record as though I was at fault. ( for the record, I had been stationary for over 1 minute when I was hot from behind) my fault ?

The downside to this is, If i change insurance company, I have to declare that this accident claim is still open. so I lose my NCD.

yes I have tried other insurance companies and it looks like its going to cost me BIG TIME when I have done nothing wrong.

Thanks for reading, Mr Gutted

One could raise a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service - http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Aside from complaining to the Financial Ombudsman Service, have you asked your insurer whether they are claiming under the Motor Insurance Bureau's Uninsured Driver Scheme? Every UK motor insurance premium includes a levy which is paid into this scheme, and this provides some protection against costs for damage caused by uninsured drivers.

Nice 1 Frostyballs, I know this scheme covers my loss's ect,  but does this cover the insurance companies, IE are they guaranteed to get there money back ? 

If yes, I think my claim needs closing. I'm gonna get onto them and ask this. again ty

Good luck; It's disgusting that they can hold you hostage like this

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links