Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Toyota Hilux - what's new?

FROSTYBALLS

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, stew said:

So why isn't the 2.8 diesel engine coming to the uk?

Raise the question with Toyota GB on Toyota UK Blog ....

• 2 weeks later...

I have just popped to my local Toyota dealer here in Thailand before I set sail for UK in May.

I wanted to find out the power output for the new 2.8 litre engine in the 2016 Hilux - I hope to put an order in next year, finances permitting.

Over here they are offering two variants - one with 420 Nm of torque and one with 450 Nm.  Power is quoted as 177 HP on both engines.

Apparently we're only getting the 2.4 litre in the UK either in 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto. Supposedly going on sale in September!

The torque figures you've quoted are for the 2.8 litre in manual and automatic respectively. The 2.4l engine coming here is 150hp with 400nm in auto.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of the cool box in the dash being connected to the AC system, it will be useful in warm climates.

I see they have relocated the intercooler on the 2016 model, no longer an air intake in the bonnet.

Toyota still do not want to release the bigger 2.8l engine for the new Hilux.  I cannot see the reasoning behind this unless the UK are just being fobbed off with the smaller engine because nobody else wants it!

It's a very bad move by Toyota as the 2017 model VW Amarok going on sale in September this year in the UK and Europe will have the new 3.0l V6 diesel engine with three different states of tune! The old 2.0l Biturbo engine will no longer be sold! Toyota are going to lose out financially if they do not reevaluate their marketing strategy!

The new 2.4 is Toyota's global engine for the Hilux. Toyota GB are responsible for sales within the UK and Malta, and they decide which models to sell within their sales area. Presumably Toyota GB have quite valid reasons for choosing to only offer the 2.4, which for all we know may be based on past sales (ie the previous 3.0 litre may have been a low volume seller).

We don't know whether Toyota visit Toyota Owners Club, and they certainly won't reply to posts on Toyota Owners Club.

Well, there are two global engines for the Hilux. The 2.4 as you suggest and the 2.8 as well. All manufacturer's are hoping to claim a share of the ever increasing lifestyle market in which the larger engines are often desired. Especially when fuel consumption is very similar. 

I have passed my concerns onto Toyota UK and they are looking at it. I explained that I had owned many Toyotas and had set my heart on the new Hilux with it's new 5 year warranty and increased refinement in the cabin. It also has much increased seat adjustment and rake and reach steering wheel adjustment. I have put my name down for a test drive as soon as demonstrators are available but the limited range of maximum torque for towing is a concern.  Hopefully, they say, I'll be convinced after a test drive and comparison to the competition.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught up with a new 2.8 litre 2016 Hilux in a town near my holiday home in Thailand, got this photo as the 2.4 and 2.8 look so alike.

001.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Just taken a photo of a new 2.4 Hilux here in Thailand, it is a number of trucks with the wheel arch guards in our area.  Not sure if they are factory fit but do look good on the 2016 model.

DSCN1522.JPG

Looks like Toyota GB may offer the wheel arch guards as an accessory. The last picture in the following article shows them fitted to a blue Hilux - http://blog.toyota.co.uk/2016-toyota-hilux-accessories

from the blog post wheel arch protectors are £245 (list).