Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I keep stalling my parents' yaris

Adeebai

My driving test is due in 2 weeks which was cancelled in January due to examiner being ill, therefore I am a very ready driver who has had over 40 hours of driving however I keep stalling in my parents' 2014 Toyota Yaris, my instructor car is a Ford Fiesta which can set of without needing the gas just simply the clutch. I go out with my dad and keep stalling I get my biting point and then apply gas putting my foot on the gas as I bring the clutch up but it just jitters forward and stalls, my dad is the most impatient person ever and shouts at me for stalling which is seriously effecting my confidence ( i stalled  6 times at a traffic light which subsequently turned red and had a huge line of cars beeping) am I not pressing the gas enough? I do them both simultaneously after getting my bite. It's really annoying seeing as though it's a new car and is perfect to get insured on when I pass! Please can someone ( more of a Yaris 2014 driver) tell me what I'm doing wrong

Title edited - changed from 'stalking' to 'stalling'.

Is your driving instructors Fiesta a diesel and your parents Yaris a petrol?

I would suspect that your instructor car may be a diesel and your parents' Yaris a petrol engine? Petrol engines usually require that you apply some engine revs before you engage the clutch whereas diesel engines have sufficient torque at tickover to enable the clutch to be engaged without increasing revs. You will need to get used to increasing the engine revs slightly before releasing the clutch to find the biting point.

8 hours ago, eyemdee said:

I would suspect that your instructor car may be a diesel and your parents' Yaris a petrol engine? Petrol engines usually require that you apply some engine revs before you engage the clutch whereas diesel engines have sufficient torque at tickover to enable the clutch to be engaged without increasing revs. You will need to get used to increasing the engine revs slightly before releasing the clutch to find the biting point.

Am I supposed to get my bite? Release it slowly then whilst  pressing the gas? Or press the gas whilst a I've got my foot on the bite ?

54 minutes ago, Adeebai said:

Am I supposed to get my bite? Release it slowly then whilst  pressing the gas? Or press the gas whilst a I've got my foot on the bite ?

There's a bit of a balance.  Use a slight bit of gas at the same time as letting the clutch out to the bite, then use a bit more gas as you let the clutch out further.

15 hours ago, Adeebai said:

As alan333 says, it's a balance. What you have been doing is probably OK with diesel or big petrol engines but on small petrol engines I'd tend to get the revs up a bit before the clutch bites. Getting it a bit wrong and racing the engine momentarily is a lot easier and quicker to fix than stalling it ... not to mention less embarrassing :blush: