Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Prius Gen 4 -sat nav turn info on HUD?

mysecondavensis

One thing I like about my gen 3 Prius is that the HUD displays the sat nav roundabout and turn information.  Does this also happen /is it one of the options on the Gen 4?

Incidentally I had a test drive today and liked a lot about the car . It certainly rides better (this was on the 17" wheels like my T spirit).  Is smooth and quiet and seems well built. 

There's no mention of turn indication being shown on the HUD in the 2016 gen 4 owners manual or the navigation manual. I guess you have a pre 2012 Gen 3 as the turn guidance on the HUD was dropped with the Touch and Go which came on the 2012 facelift model.  

Thanks for those two pieces of information.  You're right -the brochure suggests it is available but the owners manual doesn't seem to have it.  I didn't have long enough with the car to explore fully.

The helpful guy from the dealer couldn't find it either.

I didn't know that this nice feature was dropped from the previous model.  Mine's a 2010

Hi it looks like the brochure shown is for Europe the one I have for the UK does not include the Sat Nav on the Hud which is a real shame hasent stopped me from ordering one though.

34 minutes ago, ian rooke said:

Hi it looks like the brochure shown is for Europe the one I have for the UK does not include the Sat Nav on the Hud which is a real shame hasent stopped me from ordering one though.

Yes you're probably right. I don't understand why things differ so much from market to market, I guess in terms of the HUD it may be UK legislation that prevents its inclusion, or perhaps just that the UK is LHD and the software doesn't work so well with that? Here in Belgium we only have two models of the new Prius available - standard and deluxe. Standard has no extra tech and the deluxe has everything including premium JBL sound and 17" wheels. There's absolutely no customisation available beyond being able to change the colour and/or adding cosmetic options like the chrome surrounds. Yet I see on the UK website that there's masses of customisation available. And in US they have the option of a sunroof. In Japan they have an extra colour to choose from...

And, most curiously of all, here the red colour is referred to as 'Emotional Red' yet I see in the UK it's 'Hypersonic Red' ...

The dealer I had test drive with told me the HUD have turn by turn but I didn't see it for myself. Maybe he told me cobblers?

I asked the question on the Toyota Prius Blog:

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-prius-prices-and-specifications

and it seems that no navigation info is displayed on the HUD, it's a pity because it seems one of the logical things to display.

At lease you can opt to have next turn displayed on the dash next to the speedo, but there's a lot of info vying for that space!

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Yes you're probably right. I don't understand why things differ so much from market to market, I guess in terms of the HUD it may be UK legislation that prevents its inclusion, or perhaps just that the UK is LHD and the software doesn't work so well with that? Here in Belgium we only have two models of the new Prius available - standard and deluxe. Standard has no extra tech and the deluxe has everything including premium JBL sound and 17" wheels. There's absolutely no customisation available beyond being able to change the colour and/or adding cosmetic options like the chrome surrounds. Yet I see on the UK website that there's masses of customisation available. And in US they have the option of a sunroof. In Japan they have an extra colour to choose from...

The UK is RHD, same as Japan.

As regards specs, the organisation responsible for sales in each country decides what the specs will be for each car, based on their judgement as to what will sell. Same applies to any manufacturer. So for example, the UK market, where Toyota were the 9th best selling car manufacturer (2015 figures), the market may be quite different to France or Germany. In the UK, manufacturers tend not to offer saloon or van versions of hatchback cars as they are far less popular. For example: the Toyota Corolla (saloon/sedan) has not been officially sold in the UK since 2007; Ireland have had a van version of the Auris since 2007; etc.

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The UK is RHD, same as Japan.

The UK drives on the left, doesn't that make it LHD? Or is it the position of the steering wheel that determines LHD/RHD in the UK?

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards specs, the organisation responsible for sales in each country decides what the specs will be for each car, based on their judgement as to what will sell.

Yes, there's obviously an element of that, but the HUD issue seems an odd one - why would they remove a feature from one market when that market is using the same software as every other market? Sure, they could have two versions of the software, one where directions were imposed on the HUD and another where they were not, but why go to the additional expense?

53 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

The UK drives on the left, doesn't that make it LHD? Or is it the position of the steering wheel that determines LHD/RHD in the UK?

It is the position of the driver.

Legislation regarding which side of the road traffic should keep to in the UK, dates back to a recommendation in 1756 that traffic using London Bridge kept to the left. This was later incorporated into various Acts.

10 hours ago, Hoddie said:

why would they remove a feature from one market when that market is using the same software as every other market?

That gets asked a lot on this forum. The gen3 Prius in the USA didn't have the HUD but pretty much everywhere else did.

If the touch and go unit can update the gen4 HUD for one market, then chances are the feature has just been disabled (rather than removed) for markets where it is not offered.  Behind the scenes, everything to make it work is still there and it may be possible to enable it (bit like cruise control).

• 7 months later...

Agreed. Just got a Gen 4 Prius and can't find a way to display Sat Nav route guidance on the HUD, unlike on the Gen 3 model it replaced!

Have bumped this topic in case someone has found a way. 

If someone with the later Gen 3, 2012 on facelift, with touch & go can confirm, I could be wrong, but I don't think the touch and go displays the nav arrows in the HUD, The early Gen 3, that does show the arrows, didn't have touch and go.

I had a 2010 Gen 3 which did show the arrows, then a Prius+ with touch & go plus which didn't, now the Gen 4 with touch & go 2 plus, which doesn't. 

I don't think they have the touch and go in the US, hence they have the arrows.

hi How do you get the next turn onto the dash as I cannot find how to do that in the manual.

hi How do you get the next turn onto the dash as I cannot find how to do that in the manual.

The option only appears when the Sat Nav is actively navigating. You switch your MFD to show that 'compass' and you will see a new choice appear there, which you select by pressing the down arrow.

Hope that makes sense.

On 25/10/2016 at 4:17 PM, ian rooke said:

See pages 127/8 of the manual (assuming they haven't got a different version now!).

In my manual, it doesn't show the SatNav option in the diagrams, but on p127 it's the second icon from the left between the info and audio icons.

First time you select it you will probably see a compass showing N, NE, E etc, as greenjuice says just press the down button on the right group of steering buttons and you'll see the next SatNav instruction.  You can view the compass at any time, but SatNat instructions only appear when a route is set.

You do not have to be showing the SatNav on the touch screen for this to work.

Hi Thanks PeteB, found it only works after the Sat Nav gives its first instruction, just wonder why they did not leave  it on the HUD. Found it to be easier to see than on the MFD.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links