Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Brake discs 2013

Aygoice

Anyone got any recommendations of the replacement brake discs for the aygo 2013. I have yet to understand what metal toyota use to only last 20,000 miles!!!!  Was looking at delphi but will be guided by those that use or replace regularly.

thanks

j

Hello Justin - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Discs have been wear and tear items for a number of years and this applies to all manufacturers. My next door neighbour's son had to have two sets of discs in his one Polo, which he'd had from new - one at 11,000, and one at 22,000.

Why are you having to replace the discs? Corrosion?

Hi

its just had 3rd service and last year they advised about them wearing.  There isn't any corrosion they are lipped and have worn. To be honest i have had many cars and to wear at 20k is just ridiculous. my mazda did 60k before needing and that was with motorway miles.

i shall change them myself but just wondered if anyone had any preferences on them.  Problem is they fit cheap,

j

Moved to the Aygo club

There's a reason why the Aygo is cheap to buy :wink: for the most part it's quite cleverly done, but inevitably the components used will be cheaper. For a budget city car that is intended for short trips 20k miles life on the discs may be an acceptable trade off between cost and quality. I bet many Aygos only have 20k on the clock after 3 years, mine did. By which time customers on the access Toyota deal will have traded for another new one. 

My discs were noted as lipped at the 20k service (which is around when I bought the car) currently on 23k 

You could try MTEC Brakes, they have been pretty reasonable on the Avensis, don't know if they do discs for the Aygo but I would have thought so. 

Thanks Ben

i have also posted about replacing the front tweeters. Do you have any experience on this as i cannot find anyone who has actually done it on our year aygos

Unfortunately it doesnt cover the 2012/13 tweeter version with the 4 cables going into the tweeter. Its the earlier version.

but thanks

My 2010 version did 50k and was still on its original discs and pads. I think either you have a binding brake calliper or just use them more than normal. How is your fuel consumption? 

Hi Martin

i think there was some major changes when the new model came out. Brakes are fine and fuel is near as 50mpg.  Interestingly i looked back at 1st service at 9k and they made note that discs were lipped.

I bet they started using inferior brake discs to save money. Online they vary from £20 a set up to 100. i shall just get mintex or delphi.

I notice i am not the only one with this issue,  when i got car brand new they gave me 20% discount in RRP so i guess that meant i got the lead disks!!!!

I had to change my front disc brakes and pads after 35000 Km. The discs had rusted away (too much road salt during Swedish winter). I changed them to Zimmerman German discs and mintex pads and after more than a year no sign of rust and they are working well. It is easy to change but few bolts and nuts are going to try your strength and patience. Use a lots of WD 40 and cheater bar (extension arm to get more leverage). Dont forget to lubricate the pins and the back of pads as in instructions. Good videos in the internet.

we replaced our discs with some discs made by pagid they are an oem supplier

purchased from Eurocar parts i think we paid around £60 for disc's & pads

It may not always be the discs at fault, could be pad related too.

I'm a firm believer that standard brake pads eat discs, they just seem too harsh.

I always use EBC on my bikes plus I've fitted them to cars and never had problems with discs wearing prematurely.

The wheels seem to stay cleaner for longer and the dust is easier to wash off plus they perform better (at least on my bike).

• 3 months later...

We've owned a facelift 2009/09 from new and it now has 50K-odd. I'm with the OP on the quality of Toyota original pads and discs - they seem made out of butter and toast :shock: 

The pads have been changed 3 times and discs twice already in our ownership. I've never had a car eat pads and discs like our Aygo and it's not like it has had a hard life. The only positive here is that I can get a full set of genuine Toyota pads/discs for £75 and DIY the change :thumbsup: 

Don't get me started on the front tyres :dry: changed every 18K regardless of brand...

I'd have to recommend Mintex. I have bought a set of Mintex discs and brake pads for my 107 which I'll be fitting as soon as I fix my Corolla.

I have used Mintex pads in the past and they stop and wear alright for a mid-range brand.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some digging and am tempted by Brembo pads & discs from EuroCarParts. With their current 'flash30' offer, they come down to about £55, which seems very good VFM to me. I think for that money I'll chuck on a set just prior to Winter to see how they wear and feel - they can't be worse than the genuine Toyota butter and toast set up :biggrin: