Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thud / Bang under car when onrough road

dav179

XT4 - mkIII  - 2007 - D4D  2.2  - 97K miles.

Had car for 5 years, recently started with thud or knock from under car, can't be sure but sounds like towards the back, in the middle.

Had it on ramps and MOT technician had a look and could find no probs, front or back.

I have tried a spanner on drop links and they seem OK.

No loose panels or heat shields

ANY suggestions appreciated, its getting annoying now,  cheers

Hi Dave, your ears tell you there IS a problem. An initial inspection was carried out and this was not found, could it be time for a second opinion ?

Del  

Hi Del

Yeah you are right, will have to get it in again  -  cheers

Broken rear Spring maybe ? I had one go and was hard to see as it broke right at the top and was hard to spot, would be ok some days then clunk on another , if it is the spring I would change both sides not bad price around £35 each if I recall .

17 hours ago, dav179 said:

I have tried a spanner on drop links and they seem OK.

Drop links sometimes need to be levered with the weight of the car on them, and others need levered with the weight off the car.  I once had a Peugeot with a similar knock which sounded like it was from the middle of the car, and was horrendously loud.  It turned out to be front drop links - levering with the correct direction/weight distribution combo showed the movement.

Hi, Had the same issue with my XTR and they found the nearside rear drop link had sheared off, don't know how long it was like that but it has made a remarkable difference in handling on rough roads. They had the car on ramps this time to investigate the handbrake sticking on, otherwise they said they may not have seen it with the weight on the wheels.

Hope this helps

Alan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links