Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hesitation at cold start up

bobbyvimto

Is it normal for some first gear 'jerkiness' when moving off from a cold start - it's petrol 3door RAV, 2005. If I feather the throttle and keep it constant then there's no problem but if I accelerate then lift off it does bounce a little until it has been driven another 30seconds or so then all is well (so I'm hoping it's just a characteristic of a cold engine.)

BV

PS. Following my previous thread, finding a replacement drivers side sun visor from a breakers yard is roughly into a third month, more than 20 breakers yards contacted the length and breadth of the country and still not one available - at this rate coughing up the (total rip off) price for a new Toyota part is looking like the only solution - the damn things are rarer than unicorn poo! Is it even worth my looking for a used nudge bar at this rate... :rolleyes:

I've had this when my EGR was a bit blocked (Might not apply to you as that's usually a diesel problem), and also when my clutch was getting a bit worn.

re. the visor, it might be worth finding out the part number from Kingo, Toyodiy.com or your dealer, and then see what other cars share that part; Would give you a wider number of cars to check at the breakers!

Have you looked around on e.g. eBay or whatever for a pattern part?

Might even be worth trying to find one of these obscure places they use on Wheeler Dealers that make them to order!

The cold start doesn't seem to be too common a problem, if it gets worse I'll maybe ask my trusted mechanic to investigate any sensors, might be something needing a clean. All adds to the 'character and charm' of the wee thing. :laugh:

Parts number noted Redlew (appreciated), and a good tip (Cyker) to check if any other cars share the same part and maybe widen my search - thanks for the advice. eBay regularly checked and I've phoned loads of different part places as well as those big 247spares and 1st Choice Spares who apparently do a lot of the searching with their partner breakers yards - always the earlier model in, never the 4.2 facelift.

It just seems incredible such a small item costs anywhere near £170/£180 for Toyota to cover their expenses - considering for another £50 I can buy a whole front nudge bar (a lot more material and effort to make that?) then I'd argue Toyota is just taking the pee on this one. If the OEM part was say £100 then yeah, I'd maybe bite but at nearer £200 that's hard to justify (heck, there's the annual insurance done!)

• 6 months later...

New RAV4 2005 owner here.  I have the same driver's side visor problem, and have just got a reasonable price solution (well, comparatively reasonable).

I have fitted Part No 74310 - 42330 - B0.  The only differences to the original (74310 - 42360 - B0) are:

The mirror does not have a light (not something I care about) and the warning messages are written in Japanese.  This is a JDM part, so I looked up a couple of Japanese suppliers - prices low, but freight charges high and you'd probably get hit by customs.  Just for a laugh, I asked my local Toyota dealer, and he said he could order it.  He got it in three days, so it must have been held in some central store in UK - impressive.

It's brand new, of course, so looks just right (same grey colour) and works perfectly.  There are at least two other colours -  74310-42260-A0 in ivory, and  74310-42260-B0 in light bluish grey, but I don't know if those are stocked in UK.  Link here

EDIT:  Forgot to say price - £40.52 plus local (Jersey) 5% sales tax.  I guess that would be 20% for mainland residents.

Edited by IanML
Added link to Amayama database. Added price