Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 2.0 D4D cambelt questions

cheeseman

Hi all,

My wife bought a late 2006 uk reg. 2.0 diesel Corolla last week from Evans Halshaw. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any service record of a cambelt change when I understand that it should have been due (6 years / 60k miles). I'm currently waiting for Evans Halshaw to confirm if the cambelt has been changed when it was due (they're contacting Toyota) and will then take it from there, but I'm assuming, given all the paper work I have, that it has not been done when required.

I have two questions - what is the actual life of a cambelt for this vehicle (1CD-ftv 2.0) as I have seen disputing mileage (60k or 90k) mentioned online?

Also, how big a job would it be to change the belt - assuming I can't get Evans Halshaw to pick up the cost if it is required?  Are special tools required or is it a simple case of stripping and replacing bits.  I've done timing belts in the past for an NA MX5 and a mk3 Astra so it's only special tool requirements that would really put me off.

Any help or advice here would be appreciated.

Kicking myself for not checking the belt status beforehand but I kind of assumed it was a chain like most engines seem to be these days (our old Micra was a chain and I'd forgotten about any cambelt paranoia with this car)

Thanks,

Gareth

Looking at the Haynes manual it states 60k or 6 years, though the cars toyota service booklet that  lists the service periods and thats the one to go by, not third hand web blurb.

The Haynes book details the cambelt change over 5 pages with lots of pics and rates it as a 4 out of 5 "spanner" job, eg hard, for the more experienced diyer.  but no mention of any special tools, though would think you might need a puller to remove some of the pulleys mentioned ?

Certainly a good book to buy if doing it yourself.

My thoughts, if you were sold the car on the basis thats its been fully toyota serviced thoughout  its life, then if they have not changed the belt , you have a case for mis-selling; the simplest outcome is for them to do a free belt change , or if they won't you could reject the car / see legal advice.

Edit  - you do not mention the Toyota service book, does it have one and show all the yearly+ Toyota dealers stamps ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links