Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

coolant loss

shabir_c

Hi all, recently got a verso 2.2 d4d t180, 80k miles

and i have an issue with the coolant, shortly after starting it up, i will notice water bubbling out the pipe on the coolant reservoir, starts off kinda frothy. It just carries on to bubble out. havent been driving the car at the moment since noticing this, no need to at the mo.

the coolant colour is just like normal coolant.

Is this going to be the dreaded head gasket issue??

any help will be appreciated as it hasnt been long since i got the car. was a private sale so i guess im screwed if it is gasket issue.

Probably head hasket, get the coolant 'sniff tested'.  If the head gasket is faulty you can have combustion gases entering the coolant, thus it looks like it's boiling.

was thinking exactly that, usually in the past when ive had a gasket issue, its been a simple head off, get it tested and skimmed and back together. Why is it with these engines im seeing its a replacement engine that gets used.

the hg failure is a symptom of another issue. resolving that requires disassembly of the engine & replacement parts. Ultimately Toyota decided that it was better/cheaper/easier to do this via exchange units.

\they also say that these blocks/heads should not be skimmed.

thank you guys for the help so far, that makes sense Heidfirst, i thought these engines were good for thousands and thousands of miles, should have done my homework first i guess. i seen loads of D4D being used by taxis so assumed they good. Guess those always a batch tho eyyy.

so ive had a guy look at the car, he didn't do any pressure tests, but he said from his experience it seems as if its a air lock, and at times it can be a pain to remove. he said it may be worth draining it at filling it again, and bleeding the coolant.

any ideas on the bleeding process for these, on my E46 its a pain to bleed, have to have it at a slight angle and open the bleed screws.

also took the car for a short drive today about 5 miles, and my brother was behind me, and said it was giving off blue smoke for a while which then stopped, this same thing was noted when i drove the car home after buying it.

8 minutes ago, shabir_c said:

thank you guys for the help so far, that makes sense Heidfirst, i thought these engines were good for thousands and thousands of miles, should have done my homework first i guess. i seen loads of D4D being used by taxis so assumed they good.

Probably over 95% of them are. Of course if you have 1 of the <5% that doesn't help ... :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links