Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MMT Transmission Light: Gear stuck in N

Looqyp

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone has had similar issues.

I have a 2009 Yaris with a MMT gearbox and recently I have been experiencing issues. On the odd occasion; mainly when the car has made a few trips throughout the day, I get the transmission light appear and the car will be stuck on N even if I change the stick to E or R. Of i switch the car on and off a few times it will go back to normal, however the last few times it would go back to normal after atleast 20 minutes. As I said, this issue only occurs if the car has made a considerable amount of trips throughout the day, however not ideal. Most garages I have contacted won't touch a MMT gearbox and Toyota won't touch it unless the transmission light comes on, however if i wait for the light to come on, I wouldn't be able to get to Toyota. I have also noticed it takes longer getting the car into the correct gear.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and of anyone can recommend solutions that would be greatly appreciated.

Before all the comments start about how bad the MMT is, yes, there are a few threads on here about this sort of problem, so have a search (if no search fiend can post up links).

Also fuller info would be helpful. How many miles has the car done and what sort of use overall (mainly town, motorway)? " a considerable amount of trips throughout the day" sounds like a lot of short ones - in traffic?

If the car has seen a high mileage and/or a lot of stop-start it may simply be the clutch needs replacing.

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

The car has done 48,000 miles and mainly does short trips around town throughout the day. This issue only happens occasionally (every other day) so want to try and get it rectified before it becomes a bigger issue.

Thanks again

Hmm. That mileage around town .... I'd think the clutch must be nearing the empty mark. It's obviously not a cheap thing but if you plan to keep the car for a while it's almost certain to need doing sooner or later, so it's an investment I'd consider making now anyway. While it's in pieces you can get the actuators and linkage relubed as they seem to be a problem when they get dry/sticky.

Well, my old Peugeot 107 MMT (basically an Aygo) started to slip into N a few times after 35000miles. I had the actuator lubed and adjusted and it ran for another year without problems and then it came back suddenly and it can be quite dangerous during heavy traffic. You basically need to switch off ignition for half a minute and restart it again to get it into gear again, which is very annoying because you can never predict when it will happen. Dealer suggested to changing the clutch + actuator, which in total, worths more than the car itself. Eventually I decided to go for the 2015 Yaris CVT and I am extremely happy with that.  

35 minutes ago, Justhandguns said:

Eventually I decided to go for the 2015 Yaris CVT and I am extremely happy with that.  

So does your profile need updating ...

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So does your profile need updating ...

That's true, just did it.

• 7 years later...
On 3/27/2016 at 8:08 PM, Looqyp said:

Hello,

I wanted to know if anyone has had similar issues.

I have a 2009 Yaris with a MMT gearbox and recently I have been experiencing issues. On the odd occasion; mainly when the car has made a few trips throughout the day, I get the transmission light appear and the car will be stuck on N even if I change the stick to E or R. Of i switch the car on and off a few times it will go back to normal, however the last few times it would go back to normal after atleast 20 minutes. As I said, this issue only occurs if the car has made a considerable amount of trips throughout the day, however not ideal. Most garages I have contacted won't touch a MMT gearbox and Toyota won't touch it unless the transmission light comes on, however if i wait for the light to come on, I wouldn't be able to get to Toyota. I have also noticed it takes longer getting the car into the correct gear.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and of anyone can recommend solutions that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, did you manage to fix your car? What was the problem at the end? I have same issue. Yaris MMT gear box light came and gone after I switched on and off car few times probably 7 months ago. Now again dashboard light came and gone. No issue in driving now. I do lots of short journey in town and 47000miles driven so far. 

15 minutes ago, aa pp said:

Hi, did you manage to fix your car?

The member hasn't reported back and hasn't visited the Club since 2016.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links