Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water pump / radiator leak

chrispr

Hello,

I've had my car in for its service & MOT today. The dealer has suggested the water pump is leaking and the radiator is also leaking along the bottom seam. I haven't noticed any coolant leaks but the water pump housing does look a bit damp so there you go! I presume the radiator needs replacing but they were a bit vague when I asked which has me worried.

Given it's approaching 90,000 miles / 8 years old this sounds pretty reasonable, I was just wondering what sort of price I should expect for the Toyota dealer to do the job. They've quoted £222 for the water pump including parts/coolant/labour but nothing for the radiator yet.... any clue how much it should be to do both jobs?

I keep looking at trading it in but it's been bulletproof so far so I'm tempted to stick with it for a while longer yet, assuming nothing else goes wrong!

I had my water pump done, £100. Part is around £30, rest labour. It was making a squeling noise, bearings had gone so fully replaced. I'm assuming it's the same thing your talking about? 

Also change your timing belt, assuming it's the factory installed belt. Since the water pump belt is linked, you would have to pay labour again to change belt eventually. 

Radiator, no clue but phone up salvage yards, go onto eBay/gumtree and search 'yaris breaking' to get 2nd had radiator quotes.

Then try europarts and other csr part sites for new radiator price. As well as visiting those stores that you can buy parts from. Seek advice from a mechanic recommended by friends/family too.

How much time do you have left on MOT? For my MOT going to go a week or so early for a 'pre MOT check' if there's any major work needs doing, get it fixed and then go again properly.

1 hour ago, Toybota83 said:

Also change your timing belt, assuming it's the factory installed belt. Since the water pump belt is linked, you would have to pay labour again to change belt eventually. 

I understand that the petrol engined Yaris does not have a timing belt, but uses a timing chain

The water pump is propelled by a grooved fan belt.......not by the timing chain :)

On 30/03/2016 at 11:02 PM, Red Yaris 54 said:

I understand that the petrol engined Yaris does not have a timing belt, but uses a timing chain

The water pump is propelled by a grooved fan belt.......not by the timing chain :)

Oh yes, remember reading somewhere here it's a chain. I have a mk2 06 Yaris which is a rubber belt.

5 hours ago, Toybota83 said:

Oh yes, remember reading somewhere here it's a chain. I have a mk2 06 Yaris which is a rubber belt.

Nope, should be a chain if a 1.3 or 1.0 Petrol Yaris.

Only rubber belt is the auxiliary belt.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links