Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

17" tyre recommendation?

jgodfrey

Hi Guys

I know this has been covered before but I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent tyre recommendations for the 17" Prius/Auris wheels? Our Prius still has the original Michelin Primacy HP's on it which have lasted well but I don't think they are a LRR tyre.

I've just had to buy a second car and managed to get a nice 2011 Auris HSD which has new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on the back, but it looks like the dealer has replaced the fronts with some nasty new Chinese tyres (Hifly HF805?). I've never been a fan of budget tyres like this so I'm looking to change them - I've heard good reports about Dunlop Sport Blueresponse and the Michelin Primacy 3's look good....

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:17 AM, johalareewi said:

Thanks for that link, its got some useful info on there. Looking into it more it seems to be possible to put 225, 45, 17 tyres on the Prius/Auris wheels. There are a lot more tyre options available in that size and they are also a bit cheaper. Has anybody put the 225 width tyres on their wheels and are were there any issues?

Thanks

225/45 will probably be less fuel efficient, the ride will be harder & more chance of rim damage. Not so good in snow (unless you swap to winter tyres).

Against that you will have more grip & the car will probably handle marginally better.

I haven't looked to see the effect on speedo reading.

52 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

225/45 will probably be less fuel efficient, the ride will be harder & more chance of rim damage. Not so good in snow (unless you swap to winter tyres).

Against that you will have more grip & the car will probably handle marginally better.

I haven't looked to see the effect on speedo reading.

Thanks. Yes I expect that the 10mm extra width might have a small effect on fuel efficiency, but I would have thought they would actually protect the rims better because the tyres would be an extra 5mm wider (each side) on the rims?

The stock 195 65 15 tyres on the T3  Prius/T4 Aurus mk1 are actually the same circumference as the 225 45 17's so I don't think it will affect the speedo reading much at all. I was hoping to fit Michelin Cross climates which are only available in the 225 width and not in the 215 width.

is it a 6.5j or 7j wheel?

8 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

is it a 6.5j or 7j wheel?

I believe its a 7J

My "fuelly" figure for the Mk 1 Auris on 15" wheels was 55.0 mpg - a year in the Mk 2 on 17" is showing 50.7 mpg. Type of motoring comparable - 80+% motorway cruising

I`ve just changed from 215 45 17 tyres to 225 45 17. The slightly taller side wall gives a better ride and better rim protection. I didn`t buy on big brand name, I looked at fuel and wet grip ratings and price.

For those who insist on buying a premium tyre brand, I`m reliably informed, that even the most expensive brand names are made in the same factories as the budget brands. Now I`m not saying they are exactly the same tyre in all but name, but they`re not so different either, not considering the most expensive could cost three times the price of a budget tyre coming out of the same factory.

44 minutes ago, unclepoo said:

For those who insist on buying a premium tyre brand, I`m reliably informed, that even the most expensive brand names are made in the same factories as the budget brands. Now I`m not saying they are exactly the same tyre in all but name, but they`re not so different either, not considering the most expensive could cost three times the price of a budget tyre coming out of the same factory.

whilst some of the 2nd tier brands are definitely knocking on the doors of the top brands (& indeed some of them are owned by the top brands to give them a cheaper offering for the market) there are still some real ditchfinders out there. You only have to look at some of the various tests to see that there are still big differences.

e.g. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2016-Summer-Tyre-Market-Overview-Braking.htm if you look at the difference between braking distance in the wet from top to bottom it is over 50% (27m v 41m).

Ultimately,  it comes down to how much you value your neck ... :tongue:

1 hour ago, unclepoo said:

Of course the largest tyre manufacturer in the world, measured by tyres produced annually, is ........

Lego

http://www.lego.com/en-gb/aboutus/news-room/2012/june/guiness-world-record-to-the-lego-group

even the most expensive brand names are made in the same factories as the budget brands.

The factory and production line might be the same but the compounds used will be different / cheaper.

15 hours ago, unclepoo said:

I`ve just changed from 215 45 17 tyres to 225 45 17. The slightly taller side wall gives a better ride and better rim protection. I didn`t buy on big brand name, I looked at fuel and wet grip ratings and price.

Thanks for this info, it confirms that it should be ok to put 225 width tyres on the 17" Prius/Auris wheels. Have you noticed a decrease in the fuel efficiency at all, and can I ask which tyres you chose?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links