Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2017 Prius Plug-In Prime

steamyjim

I have a 2013 Prius Plug-In.  I have been very satisfied with it overall, but is has several annoying features, mainly with the Electric Drive, and although I will consider trading up to the new 2017 Prime model, I would like to be assured that Toyota have eliminated some of the problems, such as :-

1) I was told that I should get around 15 miles on electric only, but rarely get more than 10.  They are saying 30 mile for the new car – does that really mean 20 then ?

2) EV mode will not work with the heater on which means it is virtually unavailable in Winter

3) The heater hardly works when immediately setting off. Because it is mostly on electric power initially, then I presume that it needs the petrol motor to warm up to get the heater up to temperature.  This means that on shorter journeys, you can sometimes arrive before you get any heat

4) It has the worst turning circle of any car I have ever driven.  Maneuvering in tight car parks is a nightmare

5) Rear vision with the split rear window is not good, but they still seem to have this on the new car

6) I have had to stop very rapidly on one or two occasions.  The brakes tend to grab then

Not too much then, but I would have to be assured that these complaints have been addressed before I would decide to spend a ton of money to upgrade

1 hour ago, steamyjim said:

6) I have had to stop very rapidly on one or two occasions.  The brakes tend to grab then

I would have thought that was a good thing.

I love the brakes on my prius.

1 hour ago, steamyjim said:

I have a 2013 Prius Plug-In.  I have been very satisfied with it overall, but is has several annoying features, mainly with the Electric Drive, and although I will consider trading up to the new 2017 Prime model, I would like to be assured that Toyota have eliminated some of the problems, such as :-

1) I was told that I should get around 15 miles on electric only, but rarely get more than 10.  They are saying 30 mile for the new car – does that really mean 20 then ?

2) EV mode will not work with the heater on which means it is virtually unavailable in Winter

3) The heater hardly works when immediately setting off. Because it is mostly on electric power initially, then I presume that it needs the petrol motor to warm up to get the heater up to temperature.  This means that on shorter journeys, you can sometimes arrive before you get any heat

4) It has the worst turning circle of any car I have ever driven.  Maneuvering in tight car parks is a nightmare

5) Rear vision with the split rear window is not good, but they still seem to have this on the new car

Not too much then, but I would have to be assured that these complaints have been addressed before I would decide to spend a ton of money to upgrade

As you should be aware Toyota Owner's Club has no affiliation with Toyota or Toyota GB. We don't know whether Toyota visit Toyota Owners Club, and they certainly won't post on an open forum.

Perhaps it would best raise one's concerns directly with Toyota GB via  http://blog.toyota.co.uk/how-to-contact-toyota-uk

3 hours ago, Joseph D said:

I

3 hours ago, Joseph D said:

I would have thought that was a good thing.

I love the brakes on my prius.

It's called emergency brake assist or EBA, all cars have it nowadays.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As you should be aware Toyota Owner's Club has no affiliation with Toyota or Toyota GB. We don't know whether Toyota visit Toyota Owners Club, and they certainly won't post on an open forum.

Perhaps it would best raise one's concerns directly with Toyota GB via  http://blog.toyota.co.uk/how-to-contact-toyota-uk

suspect that he may not be UK.

18 hours ago, steamyjim said:

1 - I often get more than 10 miles, its all to do with how you drive, and what you're using.

2 - Heated seats and a coat? Never had an issue myself, and to be honest on short journeys its the best method in any car, as you rarely get reasonable usable heat from any engine until a few miles has been driven during the winter months.

3) No different to any other car, or any other Toyota Hybrid to be honest

4) Its a big car with a long wheel base, can't say I've personally found it that bad, but each to their own.

5) The best thing about the Prius is the rear, can see enough out the back when needed, but rarely get dazzling headlights of the tailgating car behind at night due to its design.

6) As others have said, hows that a bad thing?

Sorry to see the positive in everything you've said, but I can't see any issues with what you've said, and I'm doing about 22k milesa year in a PiP currently.

Reading the blurb on the new plug in prius, it says it can heat the cabin without using the petrol engine.  Sounds like MrT are using a heat pump (powered by the HV battery) for cabin heating (like AC in reverse).

3 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Reading the blurb on the new plug in prius, it says it can heat the cabin without using the petrol engine.  Sounds like MrT are using a heat pump (powered by the HV battery) for cabin heating (like AC in reverse).

From what I read its a petrol injected heater, so although the ICE isn't running, its still using fuel - not a air heat source pump like on the Nissan leaf - and to be honest probably the better option as will kill the range otherwise.

New tech such as a battery-powered heating system and gas injection air conditioning

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/prius/94874/toyota-prius-plug-in-2016-new-202mpg-eco-car-revealed-at-new-york-show

with the adoption of a new battery-powered heating system that improves efficiency in cold weather, and the world’s first heat pump air conditioning system with gas injection

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-prius-plug-in-new-york-auto-show

Doesn't sound like they are using petrol to heat the cabin.

8 minutes ago, johalareewi said:

What is gas injection if not Petrol?

"the world’s first heat pump air conditioning system with gas injection"

4 minutes ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

"the world’s first heat pump air conditioning system with gas injection"

A heat pump is like a refrigerator. It has a closed circuit filled with refrigerant that vapourises and condenses in absorbing heat in one location and giving up the heat in another location. During the vapourised phase the refrigerant is in the form of a gas. If that is the gas that they are talking of injecting then it has nothing to do with petrol.

22 hours ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

I know in the USA they call petrol gas (even though it is a liquid) but I can't imagine it being used as a refrigerant.  Nice find on that article.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that I read on Auto Express (March 2016**) that the new Plug In Prius will only have four (instead of five) seats, the middle seat in the back sacrificed to give space for the bigger Battery (as with Vauxhall Ampera).  I hope what I read was wrong as losing a seat is a retrograde step for car lilkely to cost around £32k.

**  "...but the larger batteries have meant a switch to a four-seat layout, with the centre console running the full length of the cabin."