Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replace Windscreen under Insurance

Cyker

Hey all,

Have any of you had a windscreen repaired under insurance before? How did you go about getting it done?

I wasn't sure if we could just go to e.g. Autoglass and get them to do it and let them sort out claiming it back from insurance, so we've been trying to go through the insurer directly.

Now, I thought this would be fairly easy - It is Toyota Insurance - But they have been a nightmare to try to get through to on the windscreen 'hotline' (It literally rings for over an hour most attempts), and when I did get through they tried to make me pay the excess before even booking it in; I refused, and they said they'd try and sort out a day and then call me back. Surprise surprise 2 days later no call back and yet again I can't get through.

So... should I persevere or is going through Autoglass a valid alternative.

Or, could I book it in with a dealer and get them to sort out claiming it back through insurance?? (I'm guessing no, but never hurts to ask...?)

Depends what the wording is in your policy.

Most insurers use an 'approved repairer' (eg Autoglass), and some, if one doesn't use their approved repairer will limit the amount they will pay. Some insurers now charge an excess for glass repairs (previously glass repairs didn't incur an excess), and some insurers now judge windscreen repair/replacement as a claim that may affect the renewal premium. If a replacement is fitted, it may be from a third party manufacturer - again check your policy.

My insurer's windscreen claim telephone line goes straight through to Autoglass.

• Like 1

Yeah, the wording of the policy is typically dense; All I know is that there is windscreen cover and there is a £70 excess, but aside from the phone number there isn't much else in the normal blurb.

I'll just keep plugging away for now to try and get through, and try and puzzle through the fine print while it rings ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2016 at 8:31 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Depends what the wording is in your policy.

Most insurers use an 'approved repairer' (eg Autoglass), and some, if one doesn't use their approved repairer will limit the amount they will pay. Some insurers now charge an excess for glass repairs (previously glass repairs didn't incur an excess), and some insurers now judge windscreen repair/replacement as a claim that may affect the renewal premium. If a replacement is fitted, it may be from a third party manufacturer - again check your policy.

My insurer's windscreen claim telephone line goes straight through to Autoglass.

This happened last year with my Mk1 Avensis. The screen was replaced with a £75 excess. It had a crack that was growing all of a sudden.

Everything is as you said.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links