Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

unusual exhaust noise

roks

Hi all,

I filled up 3/4 with Shell vpower before a day trip from London to Wellingborough, drove there and back after visiting several places in town, no issue. Next morning I started up and theres this tock tock noise from the back, I thought it was due to engine still cold, so went for a short drive now the noise was still there. 

Then done a 20mile journey at various speed and its been making this loud noise all the way,  attached video hope you can hear the splattering noise.

20160410_142203.mp4

Could the petrol be the cause or is it the backbox or something more serious upstream. I know the engine sounds wee bit different when i used vpower in the past but nothing like this. 

This video is of when I noticed it and after the short drive.

20160410_122724_edit.mp4

I just hope its the back box or its' gasket.

Is it adviseable to stuff the tailpipe to see where the leak is or is that going to cause more issues upstream?

47 minutes ago, SanaYusuf said:

Definitely an exhaust leak. 

Yeas that's how you will find where the leak is.

I would not stuff the exhaust as such, while under the car get someone to cover it for just a few seconds so you can spot the leak, stuffing it and trying to run for longer will not be good.

Why not just go down to an exhaust / tyre centre and get them to check it out and identify where the leak is and quote you for the work, you do not have to take them up on their offer.

Thanks guys, I will try a garage.

I take it theres no harm in driving it for short journeys, other the the unpleasent noise?

Get it fixed as soon as, if diy,  sometimes an exhaust bandage is possible as a temporary fix, a proper repair is the only way.

Drive quietly so not to attract the police

Well worst fears confirmed, rusted away at the flange on the cat side.

20160412_172643.jpg

Any chance of getting this welded in situ? I  the mean time only thing I had  handy was 3M aluminium tape.

20160412_181457.jpg

The noise is almost gone, but the some water leaking at the gasket and the tape.

20160412_181702.jpg

the gasket could have been leaking all that time....perhaps it's the cause of p0420?

what are my option without forking out for a whole exhaust system? 

I am thinking some sort of clamp with padding or something?

• Like 1

That gasket looks like toast, needs replacing. Think you need a new cat also, looks to far gone to weld.

I replaced the donut gasket and spring bolts recently as springs had corroded and caused a leak.

Agreed, it looks rather terminal.

Most places show the exhaust as a 2 part fitting, rear box and the rest , though some do show a middle section as a separate piece, though no good for you.

The problem now is between a genuine Toyota system ( dare not ask the price  - but worth checking) or a third party system, but the problem there is knowing how good a quality the are  - had a back box replaced on a vauxhall some years ago, only lasted 14 months ! 

Most will be standard steel types but there are some stainless ones around, again at a price.

Be interesting to know which make you fit ..?

Well the back box is not original, its Klarious or something. It was probably fitted before trader sold it to me and I've had the car for 4 years nearly done 25k.

I will get a quote for original and see whats available at ECP as well. 

I am thinking if its worth doind the repairs.shame the engine is good condition, regularly serviced ..I had my eye on sky blue 2007 corolla with 56k on the clock for £4k. Not sure how much I'll get for part exchange. Will have to think long and hard about this.

Also noticed to there is noise around the serpentine belt, hoping its just the bearing on the idler wheel and not the water pump.

12 hours ago, roks said:

..I had my eye on sky blue 2007 corolla with 56k on the clock for £4k.

That sounds very expensive, is it a compressor ?

Bought my 1.6 in 2010 with just 35k on the clock for £4.5k

No, its a normal corolla t3 or spirit I think, no sun roof though. You got a good deal.

I had a look at ECP, I think I am looking at around £400 for an after market with  2 new o2 sensors (unless I can clean the old ones).

Do you think a original 2nd hand cat would be better than a new after market? And Whats a good after maket brand for cats?

Cheers.

They say do not attempt to clean O2 sensors as that will usually destroy them.

A second hand cat would be at least 10  years old, so what the chance of it surviving removal and refitting...

Whats a good aftermarket brand for exhausts  .. that was my question in the previous post ?

A few aftermakets out there, think the only way to know how good they are, apart from personal recommendations, is what warranty they give.

This one sounds interesting as it states its stainless steel and 2 year warranty

http://www.cats2u.co.uk/37849/Catalytic-Converter/TOYOTA/COROLLA/1.6

Edit  -a tip from that site  " Never use exhaust paste in front of the catalytic converter.  "

Thats lot cheaper than ECP, thanks for the link.

I will reuse the back box I think, looks ok. Can I reuse the botls and spring if they are in ok condition?

I am now dredding the state of the exhaust manifold gasket.....

Just had a chat with Cat2U, they say part for my chassis is not yet released, will have to look else where.

Also, is it worth get new sensors or re-use the old?

Have you got a price for doing the job from the 'high street' exhaust centers that offer a good warranty, be easier than diy and possibly not much dearer ..?

Yes, been quoted "at least £300" will call a couple more tomorrow.

Since I cant buy a genuine part because of the price tag, and the after market part wont last and the current cat is working fine,  I have used gungum bandage and new gasket.

The person who replaced the last gasket did not bother to clean off the original as its welded on, I assume its the lead type. I tried my best clean it but not 100%, I had to force the new gasket on, then slapped on some gungum paste to stop the leak at the gasket. Its now lot better than before, i.e. its not dripping ...unless I block the tailpipe briefly I see little bubbles.

For a more permanant solution, I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Flexi-conical-Joint-complete-50mm-flexible-Repair-pipe-Flange-2-INCH-/261985663052?hash=item3cff8ff84c:g:v8cAAOSwu4BVufg~

They say they can expand this so it fitts over the old pipe and I can use a clamp and some sealent.

Any thoughts to achive best gas tightness?

Its many years since I messed around with exhausts and gungum, but for just that crack its seem a lot to have to replace virtually all the exhaust.

Rather than using that new joint, plus some flexible, would it not be easier to simply cut out the whole joint and use a single flexible as below ?

If you watch Wheeler Dealers, seems there are a lot better sealers than gun gum, they use some blue stuff when fitting old to new  pipes, but not sure of its proper name, they reckon its great, but again, not something I have used these days.

000402.jpg

Thanks Oldcodger, with this I can eliminate the gasket the the flangees.

So I take that its important it flexees at the joint? I can tell you now the bolt were so tight the springs had no gaps.

Seems either way will involve using some flexible hose, which will move a lot more than the original joint; though cannot say if thats a better or worse thing ??

That Profusion joint would seem simpler, but do you have the room/ length  of pipe either side of the original joint to fit it ?

The advantage of the one you show is, that I would assume you would retain the good original side of the joint and just use the new spring side one + the flexible over the broken pipe so you only  have the one joint to clamp and seal ....

I will check the pipe length on the back box, cat side has plenty.

Yes, you are correct in your assumption about the one I posted. But they dont sell male-female, its flush with conical gasket, so I may need to cut both flange of.

I like your one better except the movement, I guess if I keep the lenght to a minimum it will flex less.

OK, to the clamp on flange as the Profusion guys say its not designed for that purpose and it will fail quickly.

I'll update on my progress with the flange but I am surprised at the gungum bandage thing, its now rock solid.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, job done I think, I put a new back box as I took off the old there were lots of rust crumbs/bits inside making noise when i tilted over. I dont notice anything extra, new box is making same type of noise...perhaps the old just needed a bit of clean down and it would have ok but i needed  to get the job done quick so put the new.

I clamped on the new flange, these idiots sent pipe twice and still too big by a mill. Used some assembly paste there. Nothing for the gasket, just tightened the nut until it hit the stop.

I see some water leaking at the gasket, I am hoping because all the surfaces are new its will sort its self out eventually. ....are my assumptions correct?20160429_184533.jpg20160429_184556.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links