Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I be worried?

Mark_P

I had the car booked in to Halfords today for wheel alignment and also balancing on the front right due to the weights falling off during cleaning. I'm hoping but its unlikely this will help with some economy.

Downside. Halfords decided to give me a list of issues which I've asked my local and trusted garage to check next wednesday (I would have used them if they did wheel alignments). I didn't like the comments they made that as it's a small car that these issues would be more common than on larger cars due to the mileage done (89450). 

1. Play in nearside and offside steering arm inner joints
  2. play in nearside front lower arm mounting bushes
  3. play in both front shock absorbers top mount bearings
  4. slight movement in steering rack.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Mark

I'd take it with a pinch of salt and see what your trusted garage says.I bet it will be a different story.

Plus these are all things you could double check yourself.

Edit: Plus the size of the car will have nothing to with it.

Edited by Soeley

halford , out to make a buck, i'm on 92500 , 92 miles a day for the last 5 years  or so , nothing like that has ever come up.

Wouldn't worry about it too much but good to get a second opinion from your trusted garage at the next service. 

All but one of those items are rubber mounted bushes so designed to have a bit of movement in them. The rubber flexing takes out the shock loads and reduces noise transmission. If you have ever driven a car with hard polyurethane bushes fitted the ride deteriorates and noise increases. 

Be nice if garages would stop using the term "Shock absorber" as well. The proper name is damper! 

Craig.

3 hours ago, craggle said:

Be nice if garages would stop using the term "Shock absorber" as well. The proper name is damper! 

You need a shock absorber if you go to Halfords, when they hand you the big list of unnecessary vehicle repairs :biggrin:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I forgot to update you regarding putting the motor in to the local garage.

First thing they said is why did you go to Halfords?  I said I needed wheel alignment and you don't do that.  

As pointed out by everyone, there was no issues found in regards to Halfords things to do.  I certainly won't be going back there again.  A lesson learned. :)

• Like 2

Normal Halfords I'm afraid surprised they didn't say discs and pads need changing 😳

• 2 weeks later...

Oh they did, and quoted over £100 for the brakes.

Independent garage said I had roughly 4000 miles left on the brakes.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links